Ceredigion County Council's garden waste collection service is now provided all year round. All garden waste must be presented on your fortnightly collection day in the Council’s garden waste bags that are available from your local Customer Service Centres - Local Offices and Tourist Information Centres.
Garden Waste Collection
The council is under no obligation to collect garden waste free of charge from residents. In order to be able to offer a collection service to residents, the Council heavily subsidizes the collection and treatment of garden waste. However a small fee is charged (£1.20 per bag) to residents using the service. The garden waste collection is a fortnightly service which now runs all year round.
Alternatively residents can compost at home or take their garden waste to be disposed free of charge at Household Waste Sites.
To use Garden Waste Collection service you will need to:
- Purchase garden waste bags from the Council, which have the Council’s logo printed on the side. These are available from your local Customer Service Centres - Local Offices and Tourist Information Centres. By purchasing these bags it indicates that you have paid for your Garden Waste Collection (and not just a garden waste bag).
- Fill the bags with your garden waste – (do not overfill the bags and they should be no heavier than 20kgs or they will be left behind).
- Use the above link to request collection on-line or
Ring the Contact Centre to book in collection by 12 noon at the latest on the day prior to collection– 01545 572572 or 01970 633010.
- You will need to provide your name, address and telephone number along with an approximate amount of bags to be collected. The Contact Centre staff will then let you know on which day/date your collection is due.
- Place your bags out at the kerbside by 8am on the appropriate collection day. The Council will not collect any garden waste that has not been presented in the Council’s green garden waste bags.
There is no set limit to the amount of bags that can be collected. The Council only asks that an approximate number of bags is provided on booking and if the difference between this and the number of bags finally presented for collection is small then all presented bags will be collected. However if there is a large difference some bags may have to be left behind due to the capacity of the lorry. Residents can ring the Contact Centre to increase the amount of bags booked in up until midday on the day prior to the collection day.
Garden waste can include:
- Cuttings from trees
- Hedge clippings
- Real Christmas Trees
Garden waste does not include:
- Plant pots
- Manmade materials e.g. patio furniture
- Building materials
- Giant Hogweed
- Japanese Knotweed
For information on disposing of Japanese Knotweed and Ragwort, please click on the Harmful Weeds tab at the top of the page.
Other ways to deal with garden waste
Household Waste Sites – garden waste is accepted FREE of charge at all Household Waste Sites within the county. Please note permission to tip is required if you are using a large van/pick-up or a twin axle trailer. The waste is treated in an In Vessel Composter and a useful fertilizer is produced.