If you would like any recipes used in the menus please contact: Gill Jones on 07794 627915. Wherever possible we endeavour to source our ingredients locally...
We cater for a wide range of special dietary requirements and offer vegetarian options on a daily basis; current customer requirements are varied to include coeliac, soya, halal and diabetic.
We also provide meals to pupils with allergens and/or intolerances to specific products. The Food Standards Agency’s website has established a list of 14 allergens:
- Sulphur dioxide at levels above 10mg/kg, or 10mg/litre, expressed as SO2
In the event that your child has a requirement for a special diet and/or has an allergy/intolerance to any of the above listed allergens, we ask you to inform the catering staff at the school immediately so that suitable meals can be planned and prepared for your child/children.
Please complete the ‘Special Diet Leaflet’ authority form.
Please note that secondary schools operate an 'in house' catering service, therefore, further details can be obtained by contacting the schools directly.
School lunches cost £2.50 per day (£12.50 per week). This should be paid every Monday in advance to the School Meals clerk at the school. Payment is preferred in the form of a cheque made payable to Ceredigion County Council, however cash is also accepted. 'Alwyn Afal' dinner money envelopes are now available at your child's school.
Is your child entitled to FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
If your child is entitled to free school meals, a packed lunch can be provided by the school kitchen should he or she be partaking in any school trips. The kitchen will require at least 2 days notice.
The Benefits of a School Meal
- Your child can benefit from healthy nutritious meals, saving you time not to have to make a packed lunch
- Children benefit from sitting down and eating together at a table and are encouraged to try new foods
- Your child will develop healthy eating habits at an early age which hopefully will continue into later life
- Your child will receive a 1/3 of their daily nutritional requirements by having a school meal
- Meals are balanced and healthy and there is variety from one day to the next
- We cater for vegetarians and all special diets whilst considering religious and medical nutritional requirements
- Your child can join in with special themed meals that link in with subjects being taught in class and also national initiatives
- School meals are excellent value for money and provide a healthy and nutritious two course meal, so why not give it a go!
Free school breakfast is available to all primary school children within the County, 33 out of 54 schools are currently participating in the initiative.
Ask your school for details of times etc.
Available for breakfast:-
- Toast - with flora low fat spread, low sugar jam or marmalade
- Cereal - Rice Krispies, Cornflakes or Weetabix served with semi skimmed milk and no sugar
- Fruit Juice
We are proud of the standards we achieve in serving nutritional meals to Ceredigion school pupils and our efforts have been recognised over the years with various rewards and commendations.
Mrs Susan Owens Jones
Cook in Charge at Ysgol Y Dderi Llangybi, who recently won the SCOTY Award (School Cook of The Year). She will represent Wales in the National finals in May 2013. Her winning recipes will appear on this year's Winter menu.
Mrs Susan Owen Jones
Cook in Charge at Ysgol Y Dderi, she won the LACA award for Welsh Primary School Catering Frontline Employee of the Year 2011.
Mrs Sue Evans
Catering Supervisor at Penglais Comprehensive who won the LACA (Local Authority Catering Association) Frontline Employee of the Year in the Secondary Schools Section.
Mrs Gail Jones and Mrs Alison Lally
LACA Welsh Primary Catering Team of the Year Aberaeron Primary School.
Cook in Charge at Ffynnonbedr Primary School Lampeter, who won the regional LACA SCOTY (School Cook of the year) competition and came second in the all Wales finals, with her winning dishes of Chilli Lamb Rice Buritos with Minted Yoghurt & Seasonal Salad and Homemade Fruit in Jelly Served with Rachel's Dairy Yoghurt & Homemade Chocolate Biscuit.