Skip to main content

Ceredigion County Council website

Antisocial Behaviour and Neighbourhood Problems

Anti-social behaviour includes abusive or noisy neighbours, littering and graffiti. It can leave you feeling intimidated, angry and frightened.

The Local Authority and the Police, along with other organisations, work together in a Community Safety Partnership to tackle antisocial behaviour problems.

Noise complaints

Everyone has the right to quiet enjoyment in their home. If you feel this has been disturbed due to excessive noise, for example persistent barking dogs, late night noise from pubs or clubs or machinery then the Local Authority can investigate the cause of the problem and this may lead to action taken against the perpetrator. To report a complaint please contact the Public Protection service via or on 01545 572105.

High hedges

Disputes over particularly high boundary hedges can often be controversial and the Local Authority can only get involved in certain circumstances and after you have tried other ways to solve the problem. Talk to your neighbour, use a mediation service and keep records of all actions. Any service offered by the Local Authority will be chargeable, that is, you will have to pay.

Complaints about behaviour in Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If the Local Authority receives a complaint about antisocial behaviour from a HMO then we will tackle this through the landlord and management of the property. A person in charge of a HMO has a duty to properly manage it and this includes managing the behaviour of the tenants.


Anti social behaviour can be grounds for eviction from a property, even if the tenancy has only just begun. Landlords wishing to remove antisocial tenants from their property should seek legal advice on the correct way to go about this.

Landlords behaving antisocially

If you are experiencing threatening behaviour from your landlord then look at our Protection from Harassment/Illegal Eviction pages for more information.

What you can do

  • Be aware of how your behaviour and that of your visitors can be viewed by others
  • Take care about your own noise levels, such as from barking dogs or music
  • If you are experiencing antisocial behaviour, keep a diary of when and what is happening
  • Phone the Police if the behaviour is aggressive or threatening