Skip to main content

Ceredigion County Council website

Building Control and Planning

If you are carrying out repairs or improvements to one of your properties or are converting a single dwelling into a House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) or flats then you may need to make a Building Control or Planning application.

Building Control

If you are doing anything but the most minor of repair work it is likely that you will need to make a Building Regulations application. Building Regulations are legal requirements laid down by Parliament to ensure adequate standards of building work in the construction of domestic and commercial buildings. You should seek advice from the Building Control section before embarking on any work to a property.


A change of use of a dwelling for example for conversion to flats or to a HMO is likely to require planning permission. An extension to an existing property or a new building is also likely to need planning permission. More minor work in areas subject to extra controls such as in a conservation area may also need permission. You are advised to seek advice from the Planning Department before embarking on any work to a property.