Skip to main content

Ceredigion County Council website

Valuation Matters

How is my property banded?

How is my property valued?

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for valuing all properties in England and Wales and placing your property in one of nine property bands. The VOA is an independent agency and not part of the council. From the 1st April 2005, all properties in Wales have been re-valued. The VOA calculate your property band based on property prices on the 1st April 2003. This is known as the ‘valuation date’.

The set date ensures that all properties are assessed as at a fixed point in time, ensuring a fairer system for everyone. The VOA takes account of the size, age, character and locality of your property and sales data from around the valuation date to arrive at the correct valuation band. If your property was built after the 1st April 2003 the VOA will band your property according to what the value would have been on that date using comparable sales data to do this.

What are the Valuation Bands?

Each band has a range of property values. The amount of Council Tax that you pay depends on the valuation band of the property you live in and the community in which the property is located.

The property bands and values for Wales are shown below

  • Band A - Under £44,000
  • Band B - £44,001 to £65,000
  • Band C - £65,001 to £91,000
  • Band D - £91,001 to £123,000
  • Band E  - £123,001 to £162,000
  • Band F  - £162,001 to £223,000
  • Band G - £223,001 to £324,000
  • Band H - £324,001 to £424,000
  • Band I   - £424,000 and above

Can I appeal against my property’s valuation band?

You can ask the VOA to review your Council Tax band if you think it is wrong and you have been the taxpayer for less than six months, or your band has changed in the last six months. If this does not apply you can still ask the VOA to review your Council Tax band, but you’ll need to provide strong supporting evidence showing why you believe your property is in the wrong band. You can find more information about challenging your Council Tax band on VOA’s website. The online service allows you to check your band and submit a challenge if you think your band may be wrong.