Skip to main content

Ceredigion County Council website

Supporting Evidence

We must see original documents, not copies.

Please do not send valuable items through the post. If you can, bring them into any of our Local District Offices. We will take the details we need and hand the documents straight back to you.

If you do not have all the evidence and information we need to support your claim, do not delay sending in your application form or you could miss out on benefit. You can send the evidence in later. If you do not provide all the supporting evidence within one month we may not be able to pay you any benefit.

We need the same evidence for your partner (if applicable).

Evidence of identity such as:

A birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, National Insurance number card, medical card, driving licence, UK residence permit, EEC identity card, recent gas or electricity bill. We may need to see several of these documents for each person.

Evidence of address such as:

A recent gas, electricity bill or a TV licence.

Evidence of National Insurance number such as:

National Insurance number card, payslips or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or the HM Revenue and Customs.

Evidence of capital, savings and investments such as:

All bank, building society or Post Office books, full bank statements, or certificates for premium bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see evidence of any interest or dividends received on investments and savings. The evidence supplied must show details for at least the last two consecutive months.

Evidence of earnings:

We require the following for all people working for an employer:

  • the last five consecutive payslips if paid weekly,
  • the last three consecutive payslips if paid fortnightly,
  • the last two consecutive payslips if paid monthly.

Alternatively, you can download a Certificate of Earned Income for the employer to complete and sign.

We require for all self-employed people:

  • The latest business accounts if the business has been trading in excess of one year,
  • A breakdown of trading activities if the business has been trading for less than one year

You can download and complete a Self-employed Certificate to provide the required information if you have been trading less than one year or if you do not have business accounts.

  • For new self-employed businesses, please provide an estimate of the likely profit and loss for the first year of trading.

Evidence of other income such as:

Pension slips from a former employer or a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting. We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings.

Students will need to provide their student grant/loan award letter received from their Local Education Authority.

Evidence of benefits, allowances or pensions such as:

Current award notices or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs confirming how much you receive e.g. Tax Credits, State Pensions, State Benefits etc.

Evidence of private rent and tenancy such as:

A rent book, rent receipts, rent statement, a tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord.

Evidence of other money paid out such as:

Letters regarding student grants or maintenance, agreements or receipts from registered child minders.