Are you struggling to find the deposit or bond?

If you are having trouble providing the deposit, or bond, then there is a scheme in Ceredigion, funded by the Welsh Assembly, Local Authority, Dyfed Powys Probation and Social Services and also sponsorship and support from the local community, which can provide the deposit, or bond, in the form of a guarantee to the landlord. This scheme is run and managed by Ceredigion Care Society who have offices in Aberystwyth and Cardigan. More information on this can be found here.

Are you behind with the rent?

Your circumstances may have changed, for instance because you have lost your job, you have health problems or you have recently split up with your partner. Or you may just be struggling with rising prices and mounting bills with no extra money coming in to pay them.

This can seem very overwhelming, so always ask for help sooner rather than later.

Independent money advisors will look at your whole financial situation but will try to sort out your rent or mortgage situation as a priority.

If paying your rent is becoming difficult, get advice as soon as possible. Don't let the arrears grow - this may lead to you losing your home and will make it difficult for you to get a new tenancy in the future.

You should:

  • Talk to your landlord to try and reach an agreement about paying off any rent arrears. Be realistic, don't agree to pay more than you can afford
  • Ask for independent advice. There are agencies in Ceredigion offering a free and confidential service. They will look at your money situation as a whole and give you suggestions for a way forward
  • If you are not claiming Housing Benefit is this now an option?
  • Think about other ways to increase your income

Remember that you should always treat your rent as one of your main priorities.

If you are about to become homeless you can find more information on our Ceredigion Housing website.