Anti-social behaviour includes abusive or noisy neighbours, littering and graffiti. It can leave you feeling intimidated, angry and frightened.

The Local Authority and the Police, along with other organisations, work together in a Community Safety Partnership to tackle antisocial behaviour problems.


Everyone has the right to quiet enjoyment in their home. If you feel this has been disturbed due to excessive noise, for example persistent barking dogs, late night noise from excessive parties, pubs or clubs or machinery then the Local Authority can investigate the cause of the problem and this may lead to action taken against the perpetrator. To report a complaint contact the Community Wellbeing Team.

The assessment of noise nuisance is based on

  • whether it is 'reasonable', bearing in mind the locality
  • how often noise occurs
  • how many people are affected

Each case is judged on its merits and is based on the sensitivity of the average person. The first thing the Local Authority will do is ask you to complete a 'diary sheet' to establish the type of noise, occurrences and time of the incidents. This will enable the investigating officer to determine if a noise nuisance has taken place and the frequency and severity of the noise. If warranted sound recording over a 6 day period will take place prior to any enforcement action taking place. The perpetrator will be notified of the investigation prior to any noise recording taking place. In extreme circumstances the Local Authority may issue an abatement notice which may limit the times or the loudness of the noise and can impose fines of up to £20,000.

If the noise is as a result of a licenced premises or event then you should contact the Local Authority Licencing Section on 01545 572179 or email

High hedges

Disputes over particularly high boundary hedges can often be controversial and the Local Authority can only get involved in certain circumstances and after you have tried other ways to solve the problem. Talk to your neighbour, use a mediation service and keep records of all actions. Any service offered by the Local Authority will be chargeable, that is, you will have to pay.

Complaints about behaviour in Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If the Local Authority receives a complaint about antisocial behaviour from a HMO then we will tackle this through the landlord and management of the property. A person in charge of a HMO has a duty to properly manage it and this includes managing the behaviour of the tenants. Likewise there are obligations on the tenant to behave and act in an acceptable tenant like manner.

The local authority can take action against individuals and landlords where there are problems which affect neighbours and the local community. Such action can take many forms such as licensing and managements provisions, anti social behaviour action and nuisance provisions under The Environmental Protection Act 1990 as examples. If you are unsure of your rights and how the local authority may be able to help then please contact us through the details given.