The Carer Card is a photo ID card issued by Ceredigion County Council to Carers age 18 and over who have registered with Ceredigion County Council's Carers Information Service and who request to have a Carer card.
A Young Carer Card will be issued to Carers aged 18 and under who request a card.
The Carer Card verifies that person shown on the card is a Carer with caring responsibilities.
Apply for a Carer Card
You can apply for a Carer Card by completing the online application below. You will need to upload a photo of yourself to be used on the card.
Who do I contact if I am finding it difficult, or need help, to apply for the Ceredigion Carer Card?
If you do not have access to the internet to apply online for the Carer Card or need help applying for the Carer Card, you can phone Ceredigion County Council on 01970 633564 to ask for help. You can also email the Carers Unit email@example.com to ask for help. When emailing, please also give your phone number so we can resolve the issue quickly.
How long will my Carer Card take to arrive?
We will send your card to you in the post which should arrive within 21 working days.
The Carer Card is for Carers. A Carer is someone who looks after a friend or family member who cannot manage on their own because they have a disability, physical or mental illness or are affected by substance or alcohol misuse.
You can apply for the Carer Card if you or the person that you care for lives in Ceredigion.
The Carer Card is not for care workers who provide care to people as their paid work.
The Carer Card has been launched in response to requests from Carers during the Covid-19 pandemic. During the early months of the pandemic, many Carers contacted Ceredigion County Council to ask for something they could use to prove that they are caring for someone.
The Carer Card shows that the cardholder is a Carer. You can use the card to show that you have caring responsibilities.
Please upload a good quality photo (head & shoulders) of yourself to be used on the card. You can ask a family member or friend to take a picture on a phone or other device. The size of your photo must not exceed 2MB if you are uploading it online.
If you are not able to upload your photo then please email a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Ceredigion County Council on 01970 633564 for help with submitting a photo.
You can post or email a photo using the address details at the end of this form. If posting a photo, you must write your name and date of birth on the back of your photo.
The photo should:
- be a recent colour photo
- be of you alone (no other people or pets)
- be taken against a pale background
- show you facing forwards with your head and shoulders in the photograph
- show your full face
- show you in the centre of the photograph
- if you wear glasses, show your eyes clearly and avoid glare on the lenses
Please be aware of the following restrictions.
- do not wear a hat or head cover unless for medical or religious reasons
- do not do not submit a photo with red eye
- do not submit a photo where you are in the distance or there are other people visible
- do not submit inappropriate or obscene images
- do not submit a photo in which you have edited to altered your appearance or which has had a filter applied to it
- do not submit an image of someone else or copyright protected images
The image should be a .jpg or jpeg file and should be less than 2MB.
The Carer Card is new to Ceredigion and we are working with local businesses and other organisations to identify the benefits and discounts that having a Carer Card will give you.
The benefits and discounts listed below are currently available to Carer Card cardholders. This information will be updated as and when new benefits or discounts become available.
Proof of caring role when asking for free flu vaccinations
Carers are eligible for a free flu vaccination. The Carer Card can be used as proof of your caring role in order to claim your free influenza vaccinations. You can ask your GP surgery for your free influenza vaccination or your local pharmacy (not all pharmacies are providing flu vaccinations).
Free training session with Dysgu Bro
Dysgu Bro provide a range of learning opportunities for adults and young people aged 16 and over such as courses to improve IT and digital skills to creatives and lifestyle courses. The first training session of any Dysgu Bro training course is free of charge for Carer Card cardholders. For more information about training courses, visit www.dysgubro.org.uk or phone 01970 633540.
The supermarkets listed below are supporting Carers by allowing access to their stores during certain priority shopping times. This information will be updated if other supermarkets come forward to offer Carers access to priority shopping times or priority delivery slots.
Carer Card cardholders are welcome to use the store during priority times for NHS and keyworkers, currently (on 21st April 2021) from 06:00am - 07:00am Monday to Saturday and from 9am on Sunday. For up to date information, visit the Morrisons website.
Marks and Spencer, Aberystwyth
Carer Card cardholders are welcome to use the store during priority times for NHS and keyworkers, currently (on 1st October 2020) from 08:00 - 09:00 Tuesday and Friday. For up to date information, visit the Marks and Spencer website: www.marksandspencer.com/c/help/covid-19
Carer Card cardholders are welcome to use the store during priority shopping times, currently (on 1st October 2020) Wednesday. For up to date times, visit the Tesco website: www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bid=4630
Carer Card cardholders are welcome to use the store during priority shopping times, currently (on 1st October 2020) Wednesday. For up to date times, visit the Tesco website: www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bid=2215
If priority times are reinstated (not currently operating on 1st October 2020), Carer Card cardholders will be allowed to enter the store during the times reserved for NHS and keyworkers. Previously this was 07:00 - 08:00. For up to date times, visit the Sainsburys website: stores.sainsburys.co.uk/2218/lampeter
Carers can currently (on 1st October 2020) access priority shopping times from 08:00 - 09:00 Monday to Saturday and from 10:00 - 11:00 on Sundays. You do not need to be a Carer Card cardholder to do this. For up to date times, visit the Co-op website: www.coop.co.uk/coronavirus/updates-on-our-stores
- The Carer Card is provided to unpaid Carers age 18 or over who live in Ceredigion or who care for someone who lives in Ceredigion.
- The Carer Card is available to members of the Carers Information Service.
- Ceredigion County Council may occasionally ask the Carer Card applicant or cardholder to provide evidence of their caring role, such as a Carers Allowance award letter, a letter from a doctor, or other appropriate evidence.
- The Carer Card is valid for 2 years from the date of issue. It is the Carer's responsibility to apply to Ceredigion County Council to renew the card.
- Use of the card is subject to these terms and conditions.
- Carers whose caring role has ended must notify Ceredigion County Council that they are no longer a Carer but may carry on using the card for a further 3 months then the card must be returned to Ceredigion County Council.
- Carer Cards are issued with photographic identification, a reference number and an expiry date. The Carer Card is used for identification purposes and should only be used by the card holder in conjunction with any discount or service offered.
- Ceredigion County Council reserve the right to change the appearance and conditions of the Carer Card, or withdraw the Carer Card Scheme at any time.
- If you have lost or misplaced your Carer Card, please contact Ceredigion County Council on 01970 633564 and a replacement card can be issued. There may be a small charge for issuing replacement cards.
- Ceredigion County Council reserve the right to change the terms and conditions of this agreement at any time. If we do so, we will notify you in writing at least 30 days before making any such changes, providing details of the changes made.
I am a Carer so do I have to apply for a Carer Card?
No, you do not have to apply for a Carer Card if you don’t want to. It is optional.
I already have a Carers Emergency Card, does this card replace it?
The Carers Card does not replace the Carers Emergency Card at the moment but this may change in the future.
If you do not have Carers Emergency Card or a contingency plan, please contact Social Care Porth Gofal on 01545 574000 for more information.
Do I need to live with the person I care for to apply for a Carer Card?
No, you do not need to live with the person that you care for. Either you or the person you care for must live in Ceredigion.
Do I need to be a member of the Ceredigion Carers Information Service to apply for a Carer Card?
Yes, you do need to be a member of the Carers Information Service to apply for a Carer Card. You can join the Carers Information Service when you apply for the card.
I don’t receive Carers Allowance, can I still apply for the card?
Yes, you can still apply for a Carer Card if you don’t receive Carers Allowance.
Is the Carer Card free?
Yes, the Carer Card is free of charge.
I live on the border of Ceredigion, in Carmarthenshire or Pembrokeshire and so does the person that I care for but we use services and shop in Ceredigion. Can I apply for a Carers Card?
Unfortunately, you cannot apply for a Carer Card in Ceredigion because you or the person that you care for must live in Ceredigion to apply for a Carer Card. However, we are working with Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire County Councils, retailers and service providers to ensure that in the future, cards carried by Carers across the Hywel Dda region are all equally recognised and cardholders have access to the same benefits. We hope that we will get agreement from all to say that if you have a Carer Card issued by Carmarthenshire or Pembrokeshire County Councils, you will be able to access the same benefits in Ceredigion as a Carer that holds a Carer Card issued in Ceredigion, and vice versa.
What if I no longer care for somebody?
If your caring role has ended, you must notify Ceredigion County Council that you are no longer a Carer. You can carry on using the card for a further 3 months then the card must be returned to Ceredigion County Council.
There are other Carers in my household, can one card be issued to a household or family?
No, each Carer who wants to have a card must apply for their own card.
How long is the Carer Card valid for?
The Carer Card is valid for 2 years and it is your responsibility as the cardholder to renew it.