Free transport is generally restricted to pupils who attend the school designated by the LEA as serving the area in which they live and who reside the necessary distance from the school.
The relevant distances being:-
- Primary Aged Pupils (from 5 years of age) - 2 miles or more from the School
- Secondary Aged Pupils - 3 miles or more from the School
Distance is measured by the shortest walking route between home and school. (From the nearest council maintained road to the property, to the nearest school entrance onto the school site)
Assistance may be provided for pupil in certain circumstances on the grounds of:-
- closure of school/re-organisation of school(s)
- statement of educational needs
- a change of residence in a final examination year
- continuation of an advanced course of study not being available at the designated school
- religious beliefs (within an 8 mile radius of the school)
- post 16 students
Pupils who do not qualify for 'free transport' as defined above may be allowed following a written application to the Corporate Passenger Transport Unit, Canolfan Rheidol, Rhoddfa Padarn, Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3UE to travel on LEA contracted vehicles if there are spare places available.
How do I Apply?
The application form is available under Downloads. Alternatively you can request an application form by ringing 01545 572572.
This may either be returned to the following address or present your application at one of the Customer Service Centres - Local Offices:
Corporate Passenger Transport Unit
Glanyrafon Industrial Estate