New requirements have now come into force that require retail premises to take additional steps to protect workers and customers from coronavirus.
The additional measures were already guidance, but are now legal requirements. This includes businesses selling food or drink for consumption off the premises. These legal requirements include the need to:
- Ensure systems are in place for controlling entry to the premises and to limit the number of customers in store at any one time;
- Provide hand sanitisation products or hand washing facilities for the use of customers when they enter and exit the premises;
- Introduce measures to sanitise any baskets, trolleys or similar containers provided for use by customers on the premises;
- Remind customers to maintain a distance of 2 metres between each other and to wear a face covering by:
- Displaying signs and other visual aids throughout the premises;
- Making announcements on a regular basis;
- Undertake and record a specific assessment of the risk of exposure to coronavirus at the premises and in doing so consult persons working on the premises or representatives of those persons (where a business employs five or more people);
All premises are still required to take all other reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus, such as:
- Changing the layout of premises including the location of furniture and workstations;
- Controlling use of entrances, passageways, stairs and lifts;
- Controlling use of shared facilities such as toilets and kitchens;
- Otherwise controlling the use of, or access to, any other part of the premises;
- Installing barriers or screens;
- Providing or requiring use of personal protective equipment
The Regulations and guidance may be found at Coronavirus legislation and guidance on the law on the Welsh Government website and also guidance to take all reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus in workplaces and premises open to the public.
Useful posters and guides are available from Business Wales website. A COVID-19 risk assessment template is available from Health and Safety Executive - What to include in your COVID-19 risk assessment.