A new pilot scheme is being trialled by Ceredigion County Council to provide opportunities for local people to make a start on the property ladder by purchasing a discounted plot of land.
A piece of Council land has been identified at Parc yr Hydd, Ciliau Aeron. This will be for a new trial scheme where the Council will offer two plots (subject to the necessary planning consents) at a discounted guide price of £25,000 per plot to local people who would like to make a start on the property ladder and build their own home.
The plots will be part of the Local Authorities discount for sale Affordable Housing Scheme. For clarity, this would not be part of the Welsh Government Self Build Initiative, or Registered Social Landlord scheme.
The Council is seeking to gauge initial interest in the future sale of these two affordable self-build plots.The aim of this approach is to help provide local starter homes for people to get onto the property ladder. If proven popular and a need is demonstrated through this pilot scheme, a prospective strategy could be considered and rolled out on other Council owned sites.
The potential purchasers will need to meet the following affordable housing criteria:
- Financial Qualification:
- A (combined) ability to borrow not more than the amount required to purchase the property at its discounted price plus 10% of that price.
- Residency Qualification:
- A local connection in that the applicant must at some time in their life have lived in Ceredigion or an adjoining town/community council area (or a combination of the two) for a continuous period of 5 years. Or
- A need to live in Ceredigion to substantially care for or be cared for by a close relative. Or
- A need to be in Ceredigion for employment purposes as a key worker on a full time permanent basis.
- Occupancy as Sole Residence:
- The applicant will be expected to occupy the property as their sole residence and will be required to confirm that they do not own other residential property.
The Affordable Housing criteria and Local Development Plan (LDP) policy S05 are available to read in full on the Council’s website: Local Development Plan
Councillor Rhodri Evans, Ceredigion County Council Cabinet Member for Economy and Regeneration, said: “This is an exciting opportunity for local people to express their interest in these two detached self-build plots in Ciliau Aeron. The scheme offers local people the chance to make a start on the property ladder by building their own home. Not often do these opportunities arise, and I sincerely hope that this Council owned piece of land can be utilised to its full potential and bring about two starter homes for Ceredigion residents.”
If you would like to express an early interest, complete the short form which can be found on our website here: Expression of Interest Form. You can submit the Expression of Interest form by returning it via email to: email@example.com or call our Customer Contact Centre on 01545 570881 for more information.
The closing date for receiving Expression of Interest forms is Friday 26 February 2021.