Ceredigion’s Explore Your Own Archives’ campaign, ‘A Battered Suitcase in the Attic’, will be held from 25 to 30 November 2019. The intention is to get people to value their own personal archives. The title reflects the half-forgotten treasures that many people have hidden in the attic or under the bed in their homes.
Explore Your Archive is a national campaign delivered by the Archives and Records Association which aims to showcase the best of archives and archive services to a wide range of existing and potential users.
The local campaign wants to make people in the county consider and start to really value the documents that they’ve stashed away, and look after them.
During the week, various events and activities will take place at Aberystwyth Bandstand. The Bandstand will be open from 10am until 5pm Monday until Friday. Events and activities during the week are free for all, and some can be seen below.
• Displays of beautiful and interesting things from the Ceredigion Archives collections.
• A display of some special collections curated by Aberystwyth University Postgraduates studying Archive Administration.
• A chance to get your own free archive box for your family’s document treasures.
• A ‘Victorian’ photo-booth - dress up in the clothes (kindly loaned by Ceredigion Museum) and strike a suitable pose in front of our specially painted backdrop.
• Badge-making for all ages.
• Comfy corner: relax and watch a slide show of images from our collections, share your recollections with us.
• Browse a selection of Ceredigion Archives books, greetings cards and preservation items for sale at modest prices.
There are also lectures, workshops for adults and children and an evening with local ballad singer Owen Shiers. All events are free but so you’ll need to book for the workshops and Owen Shiers’ performance on Thursday night as numbers are limited.
Visit http://bit.ly/ArchifdyCeredigionArchives to book your place on workshops or Owen Shiers’ performance, or you can call Ceredigion Archives on 01970 633697 between 10-5 on Monday until Friday. Also, on the website you can see a full list of day to day activities and events taking place during the week.
If you need further information, call Ceredigion Archives on 01970 633697.