Model Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements (MASTAs) are for use in the private rented sector where an assured shorthold tenancy is being entered into. It includes the following:
- Four MASTAs - for use by landlords and contract holders (tenants)
- House - Periodic Tenancy Agreement
- Flat - Periodic Tenancy Agreement
- House - Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement
- Flat - Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement
- Key Facts Sheet - Summary details which accompanies the contact information
- Deed of Variation Form - A form completed by the landlord and contract holder where one of two more joint tenants wishes to transfer the benefit of the contract to a replacement tenant
The MASTAs, where applicable, contain guidance on its use and clauses. It has been designed by Ceredigion County Council in partnership with Ceredigion Private Sector Housing Landlords and Agents Steering Group, Aberystwyth University and The Guild of Students (Aberystwyth) for use when the landlord and tenant are entering into an assured shorthold tenancy agreement in the private rented sector. We encourage you to use these documents as good practice agreements approved for use by those organisations previously mentioned.
The MASTAs are made available free of charge for landlords in the private rented sector in Ceredigion and can be downloaded online or e-mailed by request and should be completed manually. The agreements balance the rights and responsibilities between both parties within existing legislative frameworks and good management and letting practice. Please read carefully the document in full prior to entering into any tenancy agreement using these documents.
Two copies of the agreement should be made, one for the landlord, the other for the tenant. It is the responsibility of either party to keep the agreement in a safe place as it may need to be referred to during the tenancy.
The use of the MASTA is entirely voluntary. There is no legal requirement to use it although landlords and tenants will be able to do so with confidence. Reproduction of the MASTA in unabridged form is permitted without fee by landlords, tenants and their agents for use in connection with premises located in Ceredigion.