What is play?
“Play is one of the ways that children learn about themselves, the people around them their environment and the community in which they live.”
Play is essential for:
- Physical, emotional and spiritual growth
- Intellectual and educational development
- Social and behavioural skills
Places to Play
Children will play anywhere at any time given the opportunity. As parents/carers, those working with children, young people, families and living/working in communities we have a responsibility to create the right conditions in which children can access opportunities for playing.
Playful Childhoods helps parents, carers and grandparents to give children time, space, support to play at home and in their community - www.playfulchildhoods.wales
Visit the Play Wales website to find lots of further information for parents and workers.
Play Day 2019
This year Playday will be celebrated on Wednesday 7th August 2019.
Play Builds Children.
The Playday 2019 theme aims to highlight the many ways in which play is beneficial to children and young people.
- Play Builds Friendships – playing allows children to interact with others, develop relationships, deal with conflict, and learn respect and tolerance
- Play Builds Resilience – playing boosts children’s confidence, creativity, problem-solving skills and perseverance, enabling them to cope with stress and challenges throughout life
- Play Builds Health and Well-being – being active through play helps children physically and emotionally, contributing to their health and happiness
- Play Builds Communities – playing allows children to learn about the world around them, make connections, and develop a sense of identity and belonging
Playday is an annual celebration of children's play with thousands of children and families playing out at events across the UK. It is an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of children's play and the need for quality play opportunities every day of the year.
You can contact us in the following ways:
Our on-line contact form
Porth y Gymuned
8.45a.m - 5:00p.m Mon -Thurs
8.45a.m - 4.30p.m Friday