Skip Navigation|

Ceredigion Museum


Ceredigion Museum
Ceredigion Museum

"perhaps the most beautiful museum interior"

Ceredigion Museum is based at the Coliseum, Aberystwyth, with additional facilities throughout the county.
Admission is Free
 how to find us

 Terrace Road
 SY23 2AQ

 Phone: 01970 633088


 opening hours

 Monday to Saturday
 10:00 - 17:00

Please check What's On for details
Ceredigion Museum is a vibrant, welcoming institution. The considered permanent displays attempt to deepen the understanding of the history and culture of the county to the community of Ceredigion and its visitors.

The museum has a lively programme of temporary exhibitions and events, alongside the permanent displays. For further information please refer to our ‘What’s On’ page.

One of the primary purposes of the Museum’s collection is to make it available and accessible for viewing to members of the public. This is achieved by collecting, documenting, preserving and interpreting material evidence of Ceredigion's past for the community we serve.

The Museum is run by Ceredigion County Council.
Chinese Soap Stone Figures, c.1800
Welsh Hat, c.1830
Wooden Plough, c.1800
Toy Train, c.1900
Albion Press, 1862
Christopher Saxton Map, 1610
Mangle, c.1900
The Cottage, c.1850
War Memorial Bronze Angel, 1921
Friends of Ceredigion Museum
Friends of Ceredigion Museum
How you can help and be a part of this exciting Museum...Read On »»»»
Shop Products
Museum Shop
Buy Books, gifts and much more...Read On »»»»
School Visits
Reminiscence and Schools Boxes
Check out our Loan Boxes. These were supported by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund ...Read On »»»»
The Coliseum, Ornate Cast Iron, Ceredigion Museum, David Phillips

Amusement without Vulgarity
Built as a theatre in 1904-5 by David Phillips, it was the venue for at least 5,000 events including Eisteddfodau and political meetings.

It became a cinema in the early 1930s and was run by Harry Gale and his wife Olive. He choose the motto 'Amusement without vulgarity' for the cinema which ran until 1977.

Ceredigion Museum took over the building in 1982. A booklet about the history of the building is available from the museum shop.
The museum collections web site
There are over 1500 illustrated pages of information about the museum displays and collections including a virtual tour of the museum on a separate site.

Useful Links

The Museum Collection
Virtual tour
24 Hour Museum
BBC Your paintings
Ceredigion County Council is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
Accredited Museum