The procedure for dealing with complaints (other than School complaints) has been divided into two steps or stages:

Stage 1: Informal Resolution

If you have a concern, please raise it with the person you're dealing with. He or she will try to resolve it for you there and then. If there are any lessons to learn from addressing your concern, then the member of staff will draw them to our attention. If the member of staff can't help, they will explain why and you can then ask for a formal investigation.

Stage 2: Formal Investigation

If you are not satisfied with the response from the person providing the service, you may ask for a formal investigation. We will endeavour to respond in full to your complaint within 20 working days and will let you know if the investigation is likely to take longer.

You can complain by:

  • telephoning, e-mailing or writing to the Complaints Officer for the service;
  • speaking to your local councillors;
  • completing the online Complaints Form on this website;
  • completing and returning the form contained in the Complaints Policy booklet (which can be obtained from this website, Complaints Officers or Local District Offices)

To register a complaint against Ceredigion County Council online, please complete the following form:

Post: Corporate Complaints & FOI Officer
Neuadd Cyngor Ceredigion
SA46 0PA
Telephone: 01545 574151


The Public Services Ombudsman For Wales

If you are not satisfied with the way in which your complaint is being dealt with by the Council, you may wish to refer your complaint to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales (an independent person appointed by the Government to look into complaints of maladministration against Local Authorities), who can be contacted at:-

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae, Pencoed, Bridgend CF35 5LJ

Telephone: 0300 790 0203 (local call rate)
Fax: 01656 641199

You can make a complaint to the Council if you feel:

  • dissatisfied with the standard of a service provided by the Council
  • that the Council has failed to do something which it should have done
  • that the Council has done something badly
  • that the Council's staff have been unhelpful or have not treated you fairly
  • that the Council hasn't followed its policies, rules or procedures correctly

Please note that you should not use the Complaints Policy to make a general enquiry, to make a first request for a service or an explanation or to report a fault.

Complaints about Social Services or Schools are considered under separate arrangements because of specific legal requirements. Please contact the Complaints Officer in the Social Services Department or the Education Department for details of these separate procedures.

Ceredigion County Council strives to provide good quality services to everyone at all times, but there may be circumstances when you feel that you wish to make a complaint.

We accept that things may go wrong from time to time and if they do, we are keen to listen to your views so that we can learn from any mistakes and improve our services wherever possible.

These pages summarise the Council's Complaints Policy. The Complaints Policy booklet can be read in full here or a copy can be obtained by contacting the Complaints Officers or visiting your Local District Office. The booklet contains a complaints form which can be completed and returned to the Council.

Complaints Policy Booklet