If you have a Visual Impairment the following services may be of help to you following an assessment of your needs:

Social Services can provide an assessment of your needs and work with you, helping you to be as independent as possible. We may be able to offer the following services dependent on your assessed needs:

  • Rehabilitation Officer – is specially trained in the area of visual impairment and works with people of all ages who have sight problems. They carry out specialist assessments, and provide information, advice and rehabilitation in connection with loss of sight
  • Mobility Training – we can provide you with training to help you to get about more safely and independently, both indoors and outdoors
  • Demonstration of Aids – there is equipment available that can help you with daily living, for example – with tasks in the kitchen; talking, clear faced clocks/watches, and writing aids
  • Low Vision Aids – aids such as magnifiers and Closed Circuit TVs for reading etc
  • Communication Aids and Training – we can help you to extend the communication skills you already have and advise on aids such as large button telephones and high visibility pens
  • Talking Books and Newspapers – we can arrange for these to be delivered to you
  • Loan of Equipment – certain items of equipment can be loaned free of charge, e.g. Specialist daily living equipment; Radio/Cassette/CD players
  • Financial Benefits – we can advise you about relevant benefits, and how to apply. The R.N.I.B. (Royal National Institute of Blind People) work in partnership with Ceredigion Social Services to provide a welfare benefits service to blind and partially sighted people in Ceredigion
  • Registering as Sight Impaired and Severely Sight Impaired – If you have not been registered as Partially Sighted or Blind, but you are worried about your sight, you should discuss this with your eye Specialist or GP

We have an Independent Living Centre based in the middle of the county (Felinfach), containing a Sensory Resource Centre where there is a display of a wide range of helpful equipment for sight and hearing loss. The Centre is used to provide training in the use of this equipment and as a base for any rehabilitation services and advice and training for anyone involved with visual impaired people either personally or professionally.

To arrange an appointment at the Sensory Resource Centre, please contact Porth Gofal on 01545 574000.

Deaf/Blind – Dual Sensory Loss

Social Services have a duty to identify and register people with a dual sensory loss, and offer a specialist assessment of need.

If you have a Hearing Loss the following services may be of help to you:

  • Social Worker with Deaf People – provides social work support, advice and counselling using British Sign Language. Provides assessment, advice on acquired hearing loss and provision of specialist equipment
  • Assistant Assessor for People who have a Hearing Loss – provides help and information on acquired hearing loss, offers assessment of needs, and demonstration of specialist equipment to help cope with the effects at home of a hearing loss
  • Flexi Care worker Dual Sensory loss – offers guidance/communication support for people with sight and hearing loss
  • Specialist Equipment – A supply of specialist equipment is available on long term loan to help Deaf and Hard of Hearing people within their homes. The equipment includes:
    • Alerting devices for the doorbell, i.e. flashing light doorbells, vibrating pagers, portable louder bells
    • Television amplifiers
    • Domestic loop systems
    • Telephone aids
    • Flashing light/vibrating clocks
    • Visual baby alarms
    • Flashing light smoke alarms with vibrating pads
    • Text telephones (Minicom)
  • Registration of Disability – to be registered as Deaf/Hard of Hearing or Deaf/Blind, please discuss with your allocated Specialist worker

If you do not currently have a worker, you will need to telephone the Single Point of Access on 01545 574000 or 01545 574001 Minicom.

Because there is a very high demand for our services, we are not always able to see everyone immediately following the Contact Enquiry. However, it is important to ensure that we do see the people with the greatest need first. Depending on resources and the demand for services, we will try to arrange the services you need as quickly as possible.

In Ceredigion there is a wide range of services available to help people with a sensory impairment keep as much independence and control over their lives as possible.

Sensory Impairment is the term used to describe disabilities such as:

  • Blindness/Visual Impairment
  • Deafness/Hearing Loss
  • Deaf blindness (Dual Sensory Loss)

If this is the first time you have noticed a sight or hearing loss, we strongly recommend you consult your GP. It is important that you get the correct diagnosis and treatment for your condition.