There are a wide variety of residential care homes available throughout the Country with some specialising in certain conditions. They can provide the care that you need on a daily basis as well as social activities and outings. Nursing homes are similar but also provide 24 hour nursing care if you require it.

All care homes in Wales have to be registered with the Care and Social Service Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW). You can search their website for registered providers in a specific area and also to view the inspection reports for the homes.

Thinking about and moving to a care home can be a daunting experience so it is important that you get as much information as possible. Age Cymru Ceredigion can provide advice to people who are aged over 55 and wish to pay for the care themselves (these people are usually known as self-funders). They can be contacted on 01970 615151 or 01239 615777.

Independent Age also have some useful information on what you should consider when choosing a care home:

Social Services can also assist with finding a care home if you request an assessment of your needs and we agree that your needs are eligible for residential or nursing care.

If you think you may need an assessment of your needs, please telephone Porth Gofal on 01545 574000.

Other ways to contact us can be found here:

The amount that you may need to pay for residential or nursing care depends on your financial circumstances. If you have savings of less than £50,000 (effective from April 2019) Social Services may be able to assist with paying for your care however you must have received a Social Services assessment that confirms you are eligible for residential or nursing care.

If you are assessed as eligible, you will be offered a financial assessment which will take account your income, savings and other assets and will help us to decide how much you need to contribute towards the cost of your care. If you decide not to provide us with your financial details, you will have to pay for the full cost of your care.

If you have already entered a residential or nursing home as a self-funder i.e. paying all fees yourself and your savings are now less than or nearing £50,000 (effective from April 2019), you can ask for a Social Services assessment to see if we can now assist with your fees.

More information on the services and their charges can be found in our Charging for Residential Care and Support and Respite/Short-Term Care Changes for the 2022/23 Financial Year documents.

If you require any further information regarding the care homes in Ceredigion or our fees, please contact our Contracts / Commissioning Team.



01545 574082


Contracts, Commissioning and Supporting People
Ceredigion County Council
Canolfan Rheidol
Rhodfa Padarn
SY23 3UE

Many people would prefer to remain in their own home for as long as possible and there are a number of services available within the community to assist with this. You can find more information on our Support at Home pages.

However for some people it may not be possible for them to remain living safely at home and they may wish to consider alternative options.

Housing Options

Sheltered accommodation – are purpose-built self-contained flats and bungalows with help available if a problem should arise. They are available throughout Ceredigion and are designed specifically for older people (usually aged 55 or over).

Extra Care Housing – similar to sheltered accommodation however they can also provide onsite carers to assist with personal care so if your needs change in the future you may not need to move home. The minimum age is 55 however if you are assessed as needing care services (for example, help with washing and dressing) then you must be aged 45 or over. At present there is one Extra Care Housing facility in Ceredigion called Maes Mwldan which is situated in Cardigan. You can find more information on the Family Housing website.

To explore all Housing Options in Ceredigion click the link below: