Anti-social behaviour includes abusive or noisy neighbours, littering and graffiti. It can leave you feeling intimidated, angry and frightened.

The Local Authority and the Police, along with other organisations, work together in a Community Safety Partnership to tackle antisocial behaviour problems.

Noise Complaints

Everyone has the right to quiet enjoyment in their home. If you feel this has been disturbed due to excessive noise, for example persistent barking dogs, late night noise from pubs or clubs or machinery then the Local Authority can investigate the cause of the problem and this may lead to action taken against the perpetrator. To report a complaint please contact the Public Protection service via or on 01545 572105.

The assessment of noise nuisance is based on

  • whether it is 'reasonable', bearing in mind the locality
  • how often noise occurs
  • how many people are affected

Each case is judged on its merits and is based on the sensitivity of the average person. The first thing the Local Authority will do is ask you to complete a 'diary sheet' to establish the type of noise, occurrences and time of the incidents. This will enable the investigating officer to determine if a noise nuisance has taken place and the frequency and severity of the noise.

We would also encourage you to use the Noise App, which you can download onto your phone to record noise activity. You can submit your complaint via the Noise App.

If warranted sound recording over a 6 day period will take place prior to any enforcement action taking place. The perpetrator will be notified of the investigation prior to any noise recording taking place. In extreme circumstances the Local Authority may issue an abatement notice which may limit the times or the loudness of the noise and can impose fines of up to £20,000.

If the noise is as a result of a licenced premises or event then you should contact the Local Authority Licencing Section on 01545 572179 or email

High Hedges

Disputes over particularly high boundary hedges can often be controversial and the Local Authority can only get involved in certain circumstances and after you have tried other ways to solve the problem. Talk to your neighbour, use a mediation service and keep records of all actions. Any service offered by the Local Authority will be chargeable, that is, you will have to pay.

Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMO's)

There are particular problems associated with HMOs in the community. This may be because HMOs are more significantly occupied by certain groups from society (e.g. students etc.) and there may be a clash of values, or the problems may relate to the change in the makeup of the community in a way which puts a strain on the local amenity provision.

For example, there may be concerns about noise or refuse in HMOs from the residents of neighbouring properties; or there may be issues regarding parking provision. Problems may arise where there is negligence by the management of the property in dealing with serious anti-social behaviour.

The legislation makes provision for these potential problems where associated with HMOs and allows the Local Authority to take action where problems come to light. This is especially where specifically related to poor management of such issues. Lesser problems are usually resolved through either the 'Management Regulations' or through the HMO licensing regime. However, the Council also has the power to take over the management of a HMO with an Interim Management Order provided that there is good justification. If you are concerned about the behaviour of occupants of a HMO either as a neighbour or a fellow occupier you may report your concerns to the Local Authority. Please see the Report A HMO page.