There are approximately 50 accidental deaths per year in the UK from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, and over 200 cases of recorded non-fatal injury – which can often lead to lasting neurological damage. Many more people are likely to suffer unknowingly from CO poisoning, and the impact on health may well be underestimated.
These deaths and accidents can be prevented by increasing awareness among the public and health professionals of the signs and symptoms of exposure to CO. 'Think CO – Think Carbon Monoxide.'
Leaflets and further information
- Carbon Monoxide: You can't smell it, you can't see it and it can kill! Leaflet for the general public, available at www.wales.gov.uk
- 'Keep Well This Winter' campaign: www.kwtw.org.uk
- NHS Choices information on CO poisoning: www.nhs.uk
- Health Protection Agency information on CO: www.gov.uk
- Gas Appliances – Get them checked. Keep them safe. Phone the HSE on 0845 345 0055 or visit www.hse.gov.uk