Hydatid Disease is a dangerous disease in humans.
The tapeworm that causes the disease is becoming particularly common in dogs in parts of Wales. This leaflet aims to raise awareness and to help reduce the incidence of the disease.
Hydatid Disease can be fatal in humans. Humans can get it from dogs' faeces and handling dogs, dogs in turn get it from sheep.
- Ask your vet about regular worming
- Don't feed your dog raw meat
- Don't let your dog roam or scavenge on sheep carcasses
- Wash hands after handling dogs or cleaning kennels
- Don't let dogs lick faces
- Report dead sheep to your local authority