If you have a licence to sell age restricted goods then you and your staff have legal responsibilities.
If you suspect someone of being under-age...
- apologise and explain your legal position
- ask for proof of age
- only accept valid proof such as a ValidateUK card with the PASS hologram, a photo driving licence or a passport
- if they don't have valid proof ask them to get it from home and return with it
- if they continue to pester you, re-state your legal obligation and apologise
- blame the shop/pub/club policy
If you are faced with aggression...
- keep your distance
- keep a barrier between you, move slowly and keep your hands down
- apologise and state your legal obligation
- try to keep calm and don't retaliate
If you have a licence to sell age restricted goods then you and your staff have legal responsibilities. You could lose your licence or your job if you sell illegally.