Skip Navigation|

Boar's Head

The figurehead was carved by Mr George Evans.

1874 - Worrall's Directory - William Williams

1872 - Cambrian News 1/3/1872

'The licence of the Boar's Head (or Neptune) was transferred from Donald Mc Donald to John Morgan of Talybont

1875 – According to Worrall's Directory of 1875, Lewis Jones was the landlord at this time.

1880 Slater's Directory of North and South Wales 1880 – Boar's Head, Lewis Jones, Queen's Road.

1881 - Census – Publican – no detailed address.

Lewis Jones, head, age 33, born in Clarach, publican.
Margaret Jones, wife, age 32, born in Llanfihangel.
John Edward Jones, son, age 9, born in Aberystwyth.
Emma Jones, daughter, age 5, born in Aberystwyth
Ethel Jones, daughter, age 3, born in Aberystwyth.
Lotty Jones, daughter, age 1, born in Aberystwyth.
Hannah Llewelyn, servant, age 22, born in Llanddewi, general servant.

1891 Census – Hotel Keeper – Boars Head

William Pierce, head, age 55, born in Flintshire, hotel keeper.
Sarah Pierce, wife, age 45, born in Cards.
William Stanley Pierce, son, age 9, born in Aberystwyth
George Fredi Pierce, scon, age 7, born in Aberystwyth.
Charles Pierce, son, age 6, born in Aberystwyth.
Mabel M. Pierce, daughter, age 5, born in Aberystwyth.
Mariah Gray, servant, age 19, born in Aberystwyth, domestic servant.
Isabella Gray, servant, age 20, born in Aberystwyth, general servant.
William Evans, servant, age 18, born in Aberystwyth, servant on farm.

1895 – Slater's Directory of North and Mid Wales 1895 – Boar's Head, William Pierce, Queen's Road.

1895 – According to Kelly's Directory 1895 the landlord at the time was William Pierce.

1900 – Bennett's Business Directory – 'Boar's Head Hotel, Queen's Road, Aberystwyth, W. Evans, proprietor. Close to station, cliff railway and Constitution Hill. Facing the sea. Every accommodation for visitors and travellers at moderate charges. Choicest ales, wines, spirits and cigars.'

1901 – Trades Directory Wales – 'Boars Head, Queen's Road, (facing the sae0, ebery convenience, wines, spirits and cigars of the best quality. Captain Evans, proprietor.'

1907 – South Wales and Monmouthshire Directory – Boar's Head, Queen's Road, Evans.

1912 – Wales Trades Directory 1912 – Boar's Head, Queen's Road.

1920 – According to Kelly's Directory 1920 the landlord was William Lloyd Evans.

1936 – Wales Trades Directory – 'Boars Head Hotel, Queen's Road. Bed and Breakfast. Lloyd Evans, proprietor.'

1975 - (Western Mail 11/10/1975) – Landlord Howard Greenhouse found nearly 100 glass and earthenware containers behind a retaining wall during building work. These containers included brand names of local chemists and businesses. The wall held back an earth bank and was built in about the mid 1800s. The landlord believed that the Boar's Head is the oldest purpose built pub in the town and was built at the end of the 18th century.

Changed to Po Na Na.

2006 – empty, used by squatters.