Sport, Leisure and Physical Activity
Sport, Leisure and Physical Activity is vital to quality of life, social well-being, health and the local economy. Our mission statement is:
"To promote healthy lifestyles for people in Ceredigion through the provision and development of opportunities for participation in active Recreation, Sport and Leisure"
This is supported by three key aims:
- To provide a valued and effective service.
- To increase participation from all areas of the community.
- To improve health and well-being through opportunities to participate in physical activity.
Ceredigion Actif consists of three main units:
Leisure Services: 6 Leisure Centres (dryside only) and 1 Leisure Centre including swimming pool.
Sports Development: A team of generic and sports specific officers incluing Rugby, Football, Cricket, Hockey, Netball, Dragon Sport, Secondary School Sport (5x60) and Disability Sport.
Exercise Referral: A team of officers working on GP Referral and other Health Intervention Programmes.
The National Context:
In January 2005 the Welsh Assembly launched its long term national strategy for sport and physical activity entitled 'Climbing Higher' which sets out its strategic direction for Wales over the next 20 years.
Climbing Higher seeks to map out how to maximise the contribution that sport and physical activity can make to general well being across the key areas of health, economy, culture, society, environment and Wales on the world stage. In summary, the priorities for sport and physical activity are identified as...
- Wales needs to be more physically active in order to be a healthier nation.
- Wales needs healthy citizens to deliver long-term prosperity.
- Wales needs to maximise the synergy between sport, physical activity and the natural environment.
- Wales needs its people to be more 'physically literate'.
- Wales needs more physically active communities.
- As well as the success of individuals,Wales needs systematic and sustainable success in priority
The Recreation Services Strategy for Sport and Leisure embraces the key elements of Climbing Higher.