Skip Navigation|

Index to 'Born...', from Rheidol onwards

Rheidol United Mine, 127
Rheidol Valley, sea vessel, 85.
Rhiw Faelor, 1.
Rhiw Ropos, 108.
Rhondda, Lord, 118.
Rhydol, railway engine, 125.
Rhydyfelin, 41, 182.
Rhydypennau, 62.
Rhys, Sir John, 55.
Richard, Dafydd Shôn, deacon, 46.
Richard, Edward, Ystrad Meurig, 139, 160.
Richard, Henry, M. P., Tregaron, 43, 72, 159, 162, 190, 242.
Richardes, Captain Bryneithin, 20.
Richardes, Major of Bryneithin, 1, 216.
Richardes, Penglais, 18, 142, 238, 255, 259.
Richardes, Roderick, Penglais, 20, 23, 76, 218.
Richards, 103.
Richards, Brinley, pianist, 232.
Richards, Rev. Ebenezer, Tregaron, 43.
Richards, Evan Mathew, M. P., 190, 255.
Richards, Rev. John, Trefgarn, 63.
Richards, Mary of Gwastad, Llanon, nurse, 151.
Richards, Rev. Thomas, 33, 144, 145, 255, 260.
Richards, Rev. Thomas, schoolmaster, 160, 165.
Rink Picture Theatre, 201, 202.
Rink Theatre, 201.
Riverside Terrace, 27.
Rob Roy, 198.
Robert, Dr. Gwilym ap, 66.
Robert, Nans, Windmill Court, 262.
Robert, Thomas, shoemaker, 262.
Roberts and Evans, solicitors, 183, 192.
Roberts, Arthur, 202.
Roberts, David, brewer, 22, 104, 105, 106, 142, 143, 151, 163, 239, 241, 247.
Roberts, Sor D. C., 15, 46, 67, 86, 186, 191, 225, 246, 247, 255.
Roberts, E. O., Liverpool, 235.
Roberts, Sir George Fossett, brewer, 105, 157, 158, 216, 247, 248.
Roberts, Henry, brewers, 105, 106.
Roberts, Hugh, building merchant, 226, 227.
Roberts, Humphrey D., solicitor, 48, 263.
Roberts, Humphrey and H. D. P. Bott, solicitors, 263.
Roberts, Hywel D., schoolmaster, 168.
Roberts, Dr. Jacob, medical officer, 104, 151.
Roberts, John, 'Ieuan Gwyllt', 160, 183.
Roberts, John, the tanner, 20, 21, 103, 104, 111, 247.
Roberts, John, junior, tanner, 103.
Roberts, Joseph, Radical, 183.
Roberts, Dr. R. S., 46, 117.
Roberts, Robert, Llangeitho, 160.
Roberts, Rev. Robert, Tre'r Ddôl, 59.
Roberts, Professor Stanley, 177.
Roberts, Rev. T. E., 48, 52.
Roberts, Principal T. F., 56, 72, 174, 177, 178.
Robey, George, 202.
Robinson, Dr. Wheeler, 57.
Rock House, 208, 209.
Roderick, Lewis, schoolmaster, 163.
Rofawr, 14, 15, 77, 108, 204.
Roman Catholic Church, 14, 252.
Roman Catholicism, 73, 74.
(ROPE MAKING), 108.
Ropewalk, 51.
Rope Yards, 84.
Ropos Hill, 108.
Rosa, Carl, 202.
Rosemary Lane (Princess Street), 9, 44, 62, 257.
Rowlands, Bowen, M. P., 191.
Rowlands, Daniel, Llangeitho, 46, 113, 242.
Rowlands, J. C., 239.
Rowlands, John, schoolmaster, 162.
Rowlands, Richard (Rowlands Pioneer), 52.
Rowlands, Rowland, 33.
Rowlands, Rowland, innkeeper, 162.
Rowlands, Sophie, singer, 235.
Rowlandson, artist, 199, 223.
Rowse, R. H., Wesleyan, 60.
Royal Cardigan Artillery Militia, 214.
Royal Cardigan Brecknock and Radnor Rifle Corps, 214.
Royal Cardigan Light Infantry, 214.
Royal Cardigan Militia, 214.
Royal Cardigan Rifle Corps, 214.
Royal Cardigan Riflemen Militia, 214.
Royal Cardigan Rifles Militia, 214.
Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments, 14.
Rudler, Professor, 185.
Rural District Council, 24, 26, 29.
Rural Dustrict Council Act 1937, Aberystwyth, 24.

Saer, D. J., headmaster, 168.
Sail loft, 84.
Sail making, 85.
Sailing boats, 82.
Sailor's Arms, 86.
St. David's Club, 239, 240.
St. David's Road, 68, 249.
St. David's Wharf, 126.
St. James Square, 18, 33, 123, 133, 134, 135, 137, 160, 183, 192, 244, 250, 258.
St. John Ambulance Brigade, 64.
St. John's Buildings, 28, 51, 86, 97, 103, 160.
St. Mair, 39.
St. Mary's Chapel, 36, 91, 221.
St. Mary's College, 74.
St. Michael's Church, 9, 23, 37, 38, 39, 64, 114, 155, 196, 197, 215, 238, 242, 258, 260.
St. Michael's Churchyard, 64.
St. Padarn's Chapel, 36.
St. Padar's Primary School, 22, 169, 170.
St. Paul's Schoolroom, 59.
St. Paul's Welsh Wesleyan Church, 31, 46, 58, 59, 103, 123, 250.
St. Winifride's Catholic Church, 73.
Sais, motor vehicle, 129.
Sale of intoxicating liquors, national effort to ban the sale of, 28.
Salem, village, 132.
(SALEM WELSH METHODIST CHURCH), 51-52.
Salem, Welsh Methodist Church, 58, 165, 167, 201.
Salford Cathedral Choir, 73.
Salisbury House, Llanbadarn Road, 237.
Sally, sea vessel, 89.
Salmon, T. E., developer, 14.
Salop and London Mail, coach, 123.
Salters, printers, 114.
(SALVATION ARMY), 74.
Salvation Army, 59.
Samuel, Miss C. A., headmistress, 168.
Samuel, David, headmaster, Dewi o Geredigion, 51, 52, 120, 165, 241.
Samuel, Richard, printer, 115.
Samuel, T. J., town clerk, 167.
Samuels, 49.
Sanatorium and public baths, 212.
Sand bar, 75, 77, 78.
Sand marsh, 48, 49, 134, 216.
Sandmarsh Cottage, 134, 254.
Sandmarsh Lane (Queen's Road), 50, 103, 108, 254.
Sandys, Nicholas, 204.
Sanitation, 21, 25, 95, 96, 116.
Sarah Davies, sea vessel, 83, 85.
Sarah Phillips, sea vessel, 85.
Sarn Cynfelin, 92.
Saunders and Deproze, players, 198.
Saunders, David, 114.
Saunders, Rev. David, 48.
Saunders, Rev. J., 60, 65, 66.
Savin, Thomas, 124, 125, 171, 172.
Saw Mills, 84.
Scadan Bwrw, 91.
Scandrett, Chandler, 103, 252.
Scavangers, 18, 19.
Scenes from the life of Moses, 235.
School Board, 108.
SCHOOL AND SCHOOLMASTER, 159-170.
Schooners, 83.
Scott, slate artist, 107.
Screw steamer, 85.
Sea Bank Hotel (Lenten House), 212.
Sea Flower, sea vessel, 88.
(SEA TRADE), 88-91.
Sea View Place, 10, 15, 22, 85, 241.
Secret Ballot Act 1972, 27.
Seddon, J. P., architect, 171, 172, 209.
Seilo Chapel, 12, 43, 48, 49, 51, 52, 53, 72, 74, 143, 146, 153, 162, 254.
Sergeants of the Mace, 19.
Sewage works, 86.
Shades, tavern, 182, 242, 256.
Shadrach, Azariah, 63, 64, 70, 113, 253.
Shadrach, Eliakin, 64.
She stoops to conquer, 199.Sheep dog trails, 204.
Shelby, Mrs., schoolmistress, 163.
Sheldon, Job, lead miner, mayor, 10, 18, 19, 38, 101, 110, 241, 242, 260.
Ship Aground, tavern, 226, 250.
Ship and Castle, tavern, 208.
Shipbuilders Row (South Road), 84, 95, 256.
(SHIPBUILDING), 83-87.
Shipbuilding, 15, 78.
Ship Launch, tavern, 250.
Shipwrights Row (South Road), 9, 256.
Shirburn Collection, 186.
Showrings, 60.
Siddons, Sarah, actress, 199.
Siencyn y Gât (Jenkin of the Gate), innkeeper, miner, 70.
Siloam, Welsh Wesleyan, 58, 59.
Silver, 3, 4, 88.
Simms Marionettes, 201.
Sion Congregational Chapel, 23, 63, 66, 72.
Siop Peggws, 258.
Skating Rink, 137, 201, 204.
Skinner School Choir, 50.
Skinner Street, 16, 50, 97, 102, 248.
Skinner Street Day School, 160, 161.
Skinners Arms, 22, 33, 123, 137, 218, 260.
Skittle Alley, 104.
(SLATE WORKS), 106-108.
Slate Works, 179.
Slater's J. R., bakery, 46, 261.
Slates, 88, 89.
Slaughter House, 103.
Sloops, 83.
Smallwood, Bishop of St. Davids, 37.
Smith, Frank, 168.
Smith, R. Geddes, solicitor, 239.
Smithfield Road (Park Avenue), 96, 103, 134, 136, 137, 187, 224.
Smithies, T. B., temperance, 71.
Smokey Face Club, 105, 116, 238.
Smuggler's House, 257.
Smythe, Tyhomas, 88.
Snow (variation on a brig), 83.
Snowdon, coach, 123.
Soar, Llanbadarn Fawr, 62, 63.
SOCIAL CLUBS, 238-240.
Social Security Office, 261.
S. P. C. K., 40.
Society of Friends, 41.
Society of Gentlemen, Merchants and Tradesmen, 239.
Society of Gentlemen, Inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood of Aberystwyth, 238.
Soho, 102.
Sophia and Emily, sea vessel, 85.
South Gate, 121.
South Marine Terrace, 15, 212.
South Parade, 215.
South Road, 5, 9, 15, 42, 50, 84, 98, 105, 159, 162, 256, 259.
South Wales Methodist Association, 42, 48.
South Wales Reconstruction Fund, 43.
Southgate, 16, 121.
Spring Gardens, 16, 47, 99.
Stage coach, 125.
Standing Joint Committee, police, 34, 35.
Stanley Road, 14.
Stanley Terrace, 12.
Stanley, Lord, 216.
Stapeldon, R. G., 98, 178.
Star, tavern, 256.
Stations of the Cross, 73.
Steam Laundry, 103, 111.
Stears, William Morley, gas works, 21, 110.
Steddfa Gurig, 130.
Stephenson, Robert, 199.
Stepys Mawr, 262, 263.
Stevens, Thomas King, foundry, 96.
Stocks, 17, 18, 30, 32, 260.
Stott, Sergeant Major, 214, 255.
Strata Florida Station, 126.
Strolling players, 113, 198.
Students' Union, 178.
Substitution Clubs, 216, 217.
Suff, C. G., headmaster, 168.
Sunday boating, refusal to allow, 28.
Sunday newspapers, attempt to ban, 28.
Sunday Schools, 46, 50, 52, 61, 66, 68.
Supa Valu, 143.
Susan, sea vessel, 85.
Sustenation fund, 43.
Sutton, sea vessel, 91.
Swan Hill (Oswestry), 15.
Swan, ravern, 123, 250.
Swimming gala, 204.
Sydenham House, 163.
Sylvan Palace, 14, 203.
Szlumper and Aldwinkle, architects, 167.
Szlumper, Sir James, 127, 214, 225.

Tabernacl, 38, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 62, 69, 70, 71, 72, 103, 113, 155, 158, 160, 161, 162, 177, 180, 182, 192, 199, 247, 262.
Tabernacl Band, 72.
Talbot Inn, 22, 40, 42, 54, 57, 76, 84, 122, 133, 171, 183, 194, 195, 253, 261.
Taliesin, 234.
Taliesin of Eifion, 234.
Tal-y-Bont, 63, 97, 108, 216.
Tamerlane, sea vessel, 85, 86.
(TANNERIES), 102-103.
Tanybwlch beach, 79, 81, 157, 212, 261.
Tanybwlch fort, 3.
Tanybwlch Hospital, 157.
Tanybwlch mansion, 157, 163.
Tan-y-Cae, 42, 74.
Tan-y-Cae schoolroom, 45.
(TAN-Y-CAE SUNDAY SCHOOL), 50-51.
Tan-y-Cae Sunday School, 247.
Tabycastell, 109.
Tan-y-Dref (Chalybeate Street), 7, 22, 163.
Tab-y-Geulan, 26, 84.
Tar Works, 108.
Tarraux, Monsieur Dr, schoolmaster, 162.
Tavern in the Town (Skinners Arms), 123, 218, 260.
Taxis, 129.
Taylor, John and Sons, mining engineers, 66, 171.
Teachers; Centre, 168.
Teifi, river, 134, 224.
Teifi, valley, 34.
Telegraph Office, 147.
Telynor Cymru, 67.
Temperance Hall, 12, 53, 72, 74, 124, 200, 248.
Temperance Movement, 61, 104.
Temperance Revival, 45, 49, 62, 70, 71.
Tennis Courts, 27, 29, 205.
Tennyson, Lord, 209.
Terrace Road, 11, 14, 19, 22, 71, 117, 124, 125, 128, 129, 135, 136, 143, 144, 146, 156, 163, 175, 176, 200, 240, 243, 244, 254, 260, 263.
Terrace Road, lower (Mary Street), 11.
The Big Fourteen of Aberystwyth, 75.
The Cambrian, 196.
The Green, Trefechan, 104, 105, 106, 139, 227.
The Heart and Mind of Jesus, 56.
The Lawn, Trefechan, 104, 106, 227.
The Resurrection, sea vessel, 88, 89.
The Tablet, 73.
Theatr y Werin, 180, 208.
Theatres, 55, 198, 199.
Theological College, 43, 76, 158, 171, 208.
Thespian Street, 11, 23, 28, 73, 199, 224.
Thespian Street Theatre, 43, 73.
Thomas, schoolmaster, 243.
Thomas Bros., garage, 98, 130.
Thomas, Dr., of Swansea, 65.
Thomas, Dr. Abraham, Borough Medical Officer, 157.
Thomas, Rev. Arthur Wynne, 54.
Thomas, Rev. D. R., 56.
Thomas, Daniel, draper, 14, 146, 245.
Thomas, Ald. David, 235.
Thomas, Rev. Geoffrey, 57.
Thomas, George Hunt Thomas Penparcau, 163.
Thomas, Rev. Geraint, 53.
Thomas, Griffith, 160.
Thomas, Rev. J. A., 56.
Thomas, Rev. J. M. Lloyd, 119.
Thomas, James 'Jimmy Bridgend of Côr y Castell', 105.
Thomas, Jenkin, sexton, 37.
Thomas, John of Talybont, 97.
Thomas, Dr. John, Liverpool, 65.
Thomas, Rev. Dr. John, 71.
Thomas, John, smelter, 100.
Thomas, Rev. John Marles, 69.
Thomas, Rev. Jonathan Evans, 66.
Thomas, Miss Junita, Talybont, 97.
Thomas, Lewis, baritone, 232.
Thomas, Mary, Ship Aground, 226.
Thomas, Penry Vaughan, 177.
Thomas, Sir Rice (Rhys) ap, 3.
Thomas, Rev. Robert, schoolmaster, 161.
Thomas, Samuel, printer, 114, 257.
Thomas, Samuel, ropemaker, 108.
Thomas, T. I., headmaster, 168.
Thomas, Walter P., 58.
Thomas, William, coal merchant, 14.
Thomas, William 'Gwilym Marles', 118.
Thomas, William J. P., deacon, 51.
Thomas, William Henry, solicitor, 110.
Thomas, William Howell, 20.
Three Horse Shoes Inn, 42.
Three Jolly Sailors Inn, 46, 250.
Three Tuns, tavern, 228.
Ticket of Leave Man, 199.
Tiger, motor vehicle, 129.
Timber Yards, 50.
Times, 209.
Tithe War, 33, 34.
Toll House, 95.
Tollgate Inn, Penparcau, 106.
Tourist Information Centre, 261.
Town Clerk, 19, 49, 110.
(TOWN CLOCK), 220.
Town Clock, 137, 138, 249.
Town Council, 19, 21, 48, 51, 53, 61, 81, 93, 103, 107, 126, 129, 135, 136, 138, 187, 204, 214, 219, 220, 245, 246, 247, 254.
Town Crier, 57, 62, 136.
TOWN HALLS, 218-220.
Town Hall, 14, 18, 32, 33, 51, 66, 72, 76, 107, 108, 116, 125, 133, 134, 135, 138, 142, 148, 159, 176, 198, 214, 216, 224, 232, 242, 243, 250, 252, 253, 260.
(TOWN HALL IN QUEEN'S ROAD), 219-220.
(TOWN HALL, OLD), 218-219.
Town Improvement Commissioners, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 30, 48, 95, 97, 103, 104, 107, 110, 123, 133, 135, 136, 183, 211, 219, 247, 256.
Town Library, 41, 260.
Town Wall, 32, 36, 41, 46, 55, 133, 143, 259, 260, 261.
Tramline, 80, 81.
TRANSPORT, 121-132.
Trawsgoed, 4, 129.
Treadmill, 31.
Trefecca, 43.
TREFECHAN AND PENPARCAU, 226-231.
Trefechan, 7, 9, 15, 16, 20, 22, 45, 47, 57, 76, 77, 84, 87, 98, 102, 104, 106, 108, 109, 131, 139, 153, 161, 162, 214, 241, 248, 260.
TREFECHAN BRIDGE, 223-225.
Trefechan Bridge, 7, 26, 36, 198, 214, 221.
Trefechan Forge, 99.
Trefechan schoolroom, 45, 214.
Trefechan Sunday Schools, 50.
Trefgarn, 63.
Tregaron, 130, 143, 213.
Trenwith, 60.
Treorchy Male Voice Choir, 235.
Trevor Road, 14.
Trewyddel, 63.
Trinity Road, 16, 28, 223.
Trotter, Miss Dorothy, schoolmistress, 169.
Trotter, Wilfred, surgeon, 169.
True Briton, coach, 122.
True Briton, sea vessel, 77.
Trustee Savings Bank, 145.
Trysorfa'r Plant, 45.
Turkey Shore, 230.
Turner, J. M. W., artist, 199.
Turnpike Gate, 16, 95.
Turnpike Road, 20.
Twiddy, Twiddy, Player's Child, 37.
Twr Cae (The Tower Field), 230.
Ty Mawr, 259, 260.
Ty Miss Loveden (Miss Loveden's House), 255.
Tyler, Colonel R. E., Inspector of Railways, 124.
Tyllwyd, 159.
Tywyn, 70, 80, 226.

Uncle Tom's Cabin, 199.
Unicorn Tavern, 69, 260.
Union, coach, 122.
Union, sea vessel, 227.
Union, tavern, 254.
(UNITARIANISM), 68-69.
United Free Church, 62.
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF WALES, 171-181.
University College of Wales, 16, 28, 36, 45, 56, 59, 61, 65, 68, 72, 74, 98, 107, 111, 115, 120, 124, 141, 143, 156, 158, 165, 187, 191, 202, 205, 208, 210, 216, 233, 236, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249.
U.C.W. – Chemistry Department, 177.
U.C.W. – Education Department, 98.
U.C.W. – Edward Davies Chemical Laboratories, 8, 177.
U.C.W. – Extra Mural Department, 184, 236.
U.C.W. – Geography Department, 98.
U.C.W. – Geology Department, 98.
U.C.W. – Gymnasium, 177.
U.C.W. – Hall, 179.
U.C.W. – Law Department, 177.
U.C.W. – Library, 47, 52, 174, 181.
U.C.W. – Music Department, 177.
U.C.W. – Physics Department, 111.
U.C.W. – Rural Science Block, 179.
University Circuits, 61.
URDD GOBAITH CYMRU, 236-237
Urdd Gobaith Cymru, 168, 188.

Vaenor Street, 108.
Vale of Rgeidol Railway, 82, 90, 96, 126, 127, 128.
Vane, Earl, Plas Machynlleth, 124, 176.
Vaughan, Trawsgoed, 18, 122, 138.
Vaughan, Lord of Trawsgoed, C. O. Militia, 213.
Vaughan, Jenkyn, deacon, 51.
Vaughan, Sir John, Trawsgoed, 4.
Vaughan, Robert, Hengwrt, 186.
Vaughan, William, constable of the castle, 3, 17.
(VESTRY TAVERNS), 69-71.
Vicarage, 22.
Vicarage Field, Llanbadarn Road, 234.
Vicatoria, Queen, figure head, 261.
Victoria, tavern, 261.
Victory, motor vehicle, 129.
Village Children, operatta, 200.
(VOLUNTEERS), 216, 217.
Votes for Women, 28.
Vulcan Street, 64, 66, 99, 109, 255.

W. H. Smith, 135, 243.
Wales Gas Office, 21, 110.
Wallog, 214.
Walters and Adie, band, 200.
War Cry, 74.
Warrell, J. and Co., 86.
Warrington, Mrs., Kings Arms, 226.
Warspite, motor vehicle, 129.
Warwick, motor vehicle, 129.
Warwick, Lord, 196.
Watchmen, 30.
Water supply, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 95, 96.
Waterloo bridge, 20, 22, 222.
Waterloo Hotel, 205.
Waterloo Yard, 130.
Watkins, David, deacon, 51.
Watkins, Hywel, headmaster, 168.
Watkins, Richard, town commissioner, 21.
Watkins, Thomas, Shipbuilder, 85.
Watts, Messrs. Of Bristol, 101.
Waun, 16, 168.
Waunfawr, 16, 25.
Webb, Vere, 20.
Webster, C. K., Professor of Law, 179.
Weeg Street, 10, 32, 78, 250, 259.
Wellington, Duke of, 1.
Wellington, sea vessel, 86.
Wells, 21, 22.
Wells, Thomas W., banker, 145.
(WELSH BAPTISTS), 54-57.
(WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODISM), 41-50.
Welsh College of Librarians, 184.
Welsh Commentary on the New Taestament, 113.
(WELSH CONGREGATIONALISTS OR INDEPENDENTS), 62-66.
(WELSH GAZETTE), 118-120.
Welsh Gazette, 71, 192, 234, 256.
Welsh Literary Society, 183.
Welsh National Youth Orchestra, 235.
Welsh Plant Breeding Station, 98, 178, 179, 189.
Welsh Primary School, 60, 74, 98.
Welsh Water Authority, 25.
Welsh Trowsers, 196, 197.
Wemyss, Captain, 52.
Wesle Bach (The Little Wesleyans), 62, 114.
Wesle Mawr (The Big Wesleyans), 62, 114.
Wesley, John, 57.
Wesleyan Chapel, Queen Street, 263.
(WESLEYAN METHODISM), 57-59.
Wesleyans, 70, 74, 262.
West Midland Savings Bank, 145.
West Wales Garage, 97, 108, 115.
Western Mail, 176.
Westminster Bank, 143.
Weston, Samuel, engineer, 76.
Whalley, G. H., orator, 124.
Wheelwright, 99.
Whipping Post, 18, 30, 32, 33.
White, Ben, fisherman, 87.
White, George, Militia bugler, 243.
White Hart, tavern, 253.
White Horse Inn, Great Darkgate Street, 252, 263.
White Horse Inn, Terrace Road, 125, 263.
White Horse Inn, Trefechan, 226.
White Lion Inn, 162, 253.
White, Tom, 229.
Whitley, Colonel (Whitley), 4.
Wickham, William, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, 217.
Wigstead, Henry, 194, 223.
Wilberforce, Samuel, 72.
Wilberforce, William, 255.
Wild, Rev. J., Nottingham, 66.
Wilding, Robert, Anchor and Smelting Works, 99.
Willett, A. C., bus operator, 129.
William and Mary, sea vessel, 85.
William, Richard, 102.
William Street, 14, 42.
Williams, 60.
Williams, the organist of St. Michaels, 49.
Williams, Fronfraith, shipbuilder, 85.
Williams and Metcalfe's Foundry, 96, 98, 225.
Williams and White's ironmongery, 200.
Williams Rodyn 'Etifedd Tanycastell', limeburner, 109, 110.
Williams, A. C. Lloyd, 167.
Williams, Ann, 66.
Williams, Betty Dafydd, Methodist, 69.
Williams, C., carpenter, 225.
Williams, C. M., 59, 129, 186, 191, 225, 245, 246, 247.
Williams, Carvell, 72.
Williams, Rev. D. R., 52.
Williams, Dafydd, missionary, 119.
Williams, David, boat builder, 86, 487.
Williams, David, mercer, 227.
Williams, Inspector Edward, 34, 35.
Williams, Rev. Edwards, 55.
Williams, Miss Elsie, clerk, 237.
Williams, Esther, printer, 71, 113, 114, 160, 257.
Williams, Lt. Col. G. C., Cwmcynfelin, 21.
Williams, Lieutenant Colonel G. C., Wallog, 214.
Williams, George, boatbuilder, 87.
Williams, Grace, 56.
Williams, Cllr. Griffith, 51.
Williams, Harry, boatbuilder, 87.
Williams, Rev. Howard, 54.
Williams, Isaac, Cwmcynfelin, 255.
Williams, J. A. of Swansea, 114.
Williams, Rev. J. Ellis, 235.
Williams, J. N., Castle Hill, 197.
Williams, James, builder, 73.
Williams, James, sailor, 86.
Williams, Rev. John, 139.
Williams, Rev. John, Band of Hope, 50, 53, 71, 183, 220, 248, 249.
Williams, Rev. John, Temperence Hall, 12.
Williams, Rev. John (Yr Hen Syr), 139, 160.
Williams, Sir John, 28, 179, 185, 186, 188, 189, 210, 234, 244, 246, 257.
Williams, John, Picton House, 58.
Williams, John, Baptist, 54.
Williams, John, bullion porter, 4.
Williams, John, draper, 20.
Williams, John, mercer, 242.
Williams, John, saddler, 10.
Williams, John, sailor, 255.
Williams, John, schoolmaster 'Jac yr Hetiwr', 161.
Williams, John, travelling schoolmaster, 55.
Williams, Rev. John Lewis, 65.
Williams, Rev. Lewis, 48.
Williams, Llewelyn, Liberal, 119, 192.
Williams, Ald. M. Ll. G., 35.
Williams, Mary, 50, Williams, Mary, 242.
Williams, Professor Mary, 249.
Williams, Mick, Penyrancor, 106.
Williams, Moses, Llangynllo, 186.
Williams, Philip, printer, 113, 114.
Williams, Rev. Prebendary, 40.
Williams, Rees, convict, 32.
Williams, Dr. Rice, 151, 183, 196, 208, 210, 211, 256.
Williams, Dr. Rice, 11, 212.
Williams, Dr. Richard, 153, 154, 155, 195, 253.
Williams, Robert, archdeacon, 119.
Williams, Samuel, Llangynllo, 186.
Williams, Samuel, printer, 112, 113, 231.
Williams, Rev. T. E., 56.
Williams, Thomas, 20.
Williams, Rev. Thomas, 56.
Williams, Thomas, banker, 139.
Williams, Tom, boatbuilder, 87.
Williams, Rev. W., vicar of Glanwenlas, 46.
Williams, W. P., deacon, 51.
Williams, Captain William, 255.
Williams, William, Chief Inspector of Schools, 68.
Williams, William, Pantycelyn, 46.
Williams, William, Lan Agent, 20.
Williams, William, printer, 115.
Williams, Fr. William, 73.
Williams, William Lindsay, 68.
Willis, Major, 128.
Windmill Court, 62, 74, 163, 261, 262.
Winstanley, Lilian, reporter, 192.
Wines of the Bible, 45.
Wood, John's map of 1834, 95, 146, 153.
Worthington, artist, 107.
Wright, D. C., Cambrian News, 118.
Wynne, Edith, soprano, 232.

Y Freinlen Gymroaidd (Cambrian Gazette), 113, 160.
Y Gaer, 143.
Y Garreg Fawr (The Big Stone), 54.
Y Geulan, 86.
Y Goeden Fawr (The Big Tree), 230.
Y Greal, 55.
Y Morfa, 36.
Y Plygain, 37.
Y Star Fawr (The Big Steps), 227, 228.
Y Wagen Fawr (The Big Wagon), 123.
Y Weeg (Y Wig), 78, 79.
Yachting, 82.
Ynys-Hir, 3.
Ynys-Las, 121, 124.
Yr Hen Gaer, 10.
Yr Hen Glwferdy (The Old Glove House), 162.
Yr Odyn (The Lime Kiln), 16.
Yr Offis Fach (The Little Office), 85.
Yr Ysgol Gymraeg, 168.
Ysgol Drafnidiol a Meintonol (Commercial and Mathematical School), 159, 160.
Ysgol Penparcau (Penparcau School), 162.
Ysgol Skin (Skinner Street Calvinistic Methodist Sunday School), 50, 51, 248.
Ysgol y Morfa (The Marsh School), 160.
Ysgol y Morwyr, 163.
Ysgoldy (schoolroom), 47.
Ystrad Meurig, 126, 159, 242.
Ystwyth river, 3, 31, 77, 79, 91, 224.
Y.W.C.A. building, 12.

Zinc ore, 90.

List of Photographs, Illustrations etc. – Born on a Perilous Rock.

Aberystwyth c. 1790, 9.
Aberystwyth c. 1860, possibly the oldest photograph in existence. The Castle Hotel, pier and Queen's Hotel has yet to be built. The old Customs House, with a garden between it and the sea, stands at the corner with Pier Street. The narrow promenade (widened later) had been extended to Constitution Hill. The purpose of the excavations shown in the bottom left hand corner is unknown, 251.
Aerial ropeway, the broken bridge 1886, showing part of the aerial ropeway, 224.
Alexandra Road, Chalybeate Terrace, corner of Alexandra Road and Thespian Street, 12.
Alexandra Road, the Education Buildings, Alexandra Road, 98.
Alexandra Road, moving Western Parade to widen Alexandra Road, 16.
Alexandra Road School, now Ysgol Gymraeg, 169.
Alfred Place English Baptist Chapel, 56.
Alfred Place, these premises were demolished to make room for the Carnegie Library in Alfred Place, 184.
Angel Inn, fair open ground in front of the Angel Inn and on Cae Bach Judith in 1796, 138.
Angel Inn in the early 20th century, 250.
Angel Inn, the present day angel Inn, 250.
Ardwyn, Aberystwyth County School c. 1920. Llewelyn Edwards had his private school in the older building on the left, 165.
Ardwyn, David Samuel and his staff at Ardwyn, 165.
Articles of faith, the premises where the Methodists formulated their articles of faith 1823, 253.
Articles of faith, the room where the articles were signed, 43.
Articles of faith, unveiling the plaque on the house in Great Darkgate Street where the articles of faith were formulated, 42.

Baker Street, Humphrey Robert's office, Baker Street, site of the first infirmary, 155.
Baker Street, Seion Welsh Congregational Chapel, Baker Street, 65.
Banc y Ddafad Ddu, a bank note issued by the Aberystwyth and Tregaron bank – Banc y Ddafad Ddu, 142.
Banc y Llong note, 140.
Band of Hope, Ellen Davies's Band of Hope Pledge Card 1892, 72.
Bank House, old, 257.
Barclays Bank, 143.
Bath House, 211.
Bathing huts, ladies bathing huts, those for men were well to the north, 204.
Bathing huts on the beach, 205.
Beach, Aberystwyth beach 1790's showing the old windmill, 194.
Beach, bathing huts on the beach, 205.
Beach, an Edwardian beach scene, 204.
Beach, the life boat 'Elizabeth Lloyd' on the beach in the 1870's, 204.
Beach, Pierrots on the beach, 204.
Bethel, the second Bethel Chapel, 55.
Bethel Welsh Baptist Chapel, 56.
Bicycle, and some went by bicycle, 131.
Black Lion, 195.
Blaenllynant, the plaque on Blaenllynant, Sir John Williams's home in Victoria Terrace, 244.
Boat trips from the pier head, 205.
Boatmen, 94.
Bonsall's Row, old Crynfryn Row. The crumbling wall in the foregraound may have been part of the old Town Hall, 263.
Brake, a trip in a brake, 129.
Brewery workers, 105.
Bridge, the broken bridge 1886, showing part of the aerial ropeway, 224.
Bridge, building the new bridge, 225.
Bridge built by John Nash c. 1880, 224.
Bridge, Fairholt's drawing of the temporary bridge 1797. It is almost exactly the same as that drawn by Rowlandson, 223.
Bridge Street, a house in Bridge Street, 256.
Bridge Street, the passive resistance sale at Old Bank House in Bridge Street, 167.
Bridge Street, some fine stone houses in North Parade c. 1820, and silimar to some in Bridge Street, 254.
Bridge Street, the Welsh Gazette Works in Bridge Street, 118.
Brittania Court, Great Darkgate Street showing the arched entrance to Britania Court, 253.
Bronglais Workhouse, 149.
Bronglais Workhouse, some of the inmates if Bronglais Workhouse, 152.
Bryn-y-Mor reservoir, 23.
Brynymor Terrace, the plaque on Sir Walford Davies's former house in Brynymor Terrace, 178.

Cae Bach Judith, fair on open ground in front of the Angel Inn and on Cae Bach Judith in 1796, 138.
Cambrian News in Queen Street, 118.
Cambrian News in Terrace Road, 117.
Cambrian News works in Mill Street, 117.
Cambrian Place, the corner of Terrace Road and Cambrian Place in the 1880's. It is now the site of Lloyds Bank, 144.
Cambrian Place, floods in Cambrian Street and Place, 12.
Camera Obscura and cannon on the Castle grounds, 6.
Candle works, old, 103.
Canon, camera obscura and cannon on the Castle grounds, 103.
Carnegie Library, these premises were demolished to make room for the Carnegie Library in Alfred Place, 184.
Castle, Aberystwyth Castle, built according to a 13th century cleric, 'on a perollous rock by the sea', frontis, c.
Cacstle, building the extension of the promenade in front of the castle, 210.
Castle, C. J. Spurgeon's drawing of Aberystwyth castle as it was built by Edward 1, 2.
Castle, the coves below the castle before the promenade was built, 209.
Castle, Gorsedd Ceremony at the castle, 234.
Castle in 1740, 5.
Castle, the memorial service to Gladstone at Castle 1898, 191.
Castle ruins, 6.
Castle Grounds, Camera obscura and cannon on the Castle grounds, 6.
Castle Grounds, an entertainment in the Castle Grounds, 204.
Castle Hotel, building and northern wing of Castle Hotel c. 1865. A part of Castle House, an octagonal tower, is on the right, 172.
Castle Hotel, men at work on the main entrance to Castle Hotel 1864, 172.
Castle House, building the northern wing of Castle House c. 1865. A part of Castle House, an octagonal tower, is on the right, 172.
Catch, the, 93.
Celebrities, Aberystwyth celebrities caricatured by Matt. From the Sunday Graphic, 31 August 1930, 249.
Central Foundry, remains of the Williams and Metcalfe Central Foundry established 1874, 95.
Chalybeate Street, David Jones's Central Meat Stores at corner of Chalybeate Street and North Parade, 14.
Chalybeate Terrace, corner of Alexandra Road and Thespian Street, 12.
Charabanc, a trip in a charabanc having soild tyres, 132.
Coliseum, 200.
Coliseum, some of the ladies who served refreshments at the Coliseum on Saturday nights, 201.
College, the instillation ceremony 1896, 176.
College, Mount Pleasant, now part of the College, 195.
College, the old College, 181.
College on fire 1885, 174.
College the triangular portico and part of the southern wing of the College, 174.
College, two views of the first College building, 173.
College Hall, a concert at the College Hall c. 1930, 206.
College Hall in Queen's Road, 179.
College Hall on fire 1933, 179.
College Library, the Great Hall and the new College Library, 181.
Concert parties, one of the concert parties at Aberystwyth, 202.
Corn Market, the second Corn Market on the corner of Market Street and Eastgate, 135.
Countess of Lisburne, 91.
Credo, poster – Brig Credo for Quebec, 84.
Crynfryn, Old Crynfryn (Bonsall's) Row. The crumbling wall in the foreground may have been part of the old town wall, 263.
Customs House, a few of Trefechan.s lime kilns. The building with a veranda was the Customs House, 109.
Customs House in 1820 was the low building between the two tall houses beneath the hill top, 76.
Customs House, the second Customs House is the building with the balcony, 76.
Customs House, the shipbuilding yards : note the chimney stack of the sawmills and the Customs House with its veranda, 84.

David Jones's Central Meat Stores at corner of Chalybeate Street and North Parade, 14.
Davies, Ellen Davies's Band of Hope Pledge Card, 1892, 72.
Davies, Lord Davies of Llandinam, 177.
Davies, the plaque on Sir Walford Davies's former house in Brynymor Terrace, 178.
Davies, Principal J. H., 178.
Davies, Robert, Cwrtmawr, 43.
Department of Health and Social Security, former D.H.S.S. in Eastgate, 155.

Eastgate, former D.H.S.S., 155.
Eastgate, Gateway Buildings, Eastgate, 263.
Eastgate, the second Corn Market on the corner of Market Street and Eastgate, 135.
Education Buildings, the Education Buildings, Alexandra Road, 98.
Edward VIII, proclaiming the accession of King Edward VIII 22 January 1936, 28.
Edwards, Sir Ifan and Lady, an Urdd procession, headed by Syr Ifan and Lady Edwards, during the Peace Pageant 1935, 237.
Edwards, Llewelyn, Ardwyn, Aberystwyth County School c. 1920. Llewelyn Edwards had his private school in the older building on the left, 165.
Elim Pentecostal Chapel, 69.
Elizabeth Lloyd, the lifeboat, 204.
Elysian Grove, the audience at an Elysian Grove concert, 202.
Elysian Grove, some of the audience sat on the stage, 202.
English Presbyterian Chapel, 54.
English Wesleyan Chapel, the former English Wesleyan Chapel and day school, 60.
Evans, John's school, 160.
Evans, John, the tower of John Even's school and, on the right, the Wesleyan day school (1844-48) described under nonconformity, 161.
Exhibition, the Methodist, 53.

Fair on open ground in front of the Angel Inn and on Cae Bach Judith in 1796, 138.
Fairholt's drawing of the temporary bridge 1797. It is almost exactly the same as that drawn by Rowlandson, 223.
Ferry, the harbour ferry, 82.
Figure-head of Queen Victoria, 261.
Fire, the College on fire 1885, 174.
Fire, the College Hall on fire 1933, 179.
Fire, Green's Foundry after the fire of 1908, 98
Fire, the Hydro-Waterloo Hotel, Aberyswtyth's largest hotel. Destroyed by fire 1919, replaced by the King's Hall, 206.
Fire, the Palladium after the fire, 201.
Fire, the present Town Hall. This is a reconstruction of the above hall which was seriously damaged by fire in 1967, 219.
Fish, more fish carts, 93.
Fish, packing the fish into barrels, 93.
Fish sellers of a later date, 94.
Fish women, 93.
Front, the Aberystwyth front in holiday time, 207.

Gaol in the 1770s was probably in the corner of this old building near the old Liberal Club in St James Square, 31.
Garner's bakery, the staff of Garner's bakery in Portland Road, 225.
Gas, Aberystwyth Gas Company Offices, Park Avenue, 111.
Gateway Buildings, Eastgate, 263.
German Band on Marine Terrace, 20.
Gibson, Sir John, 115.
Gibson, John, an answer to John Gibson's complaint that the wreck of the once beautiful Sarah Davies was an eyesore, 82.
Gogerddan Arms, Great Darkgate Street, pre 1880, showing market women selling their produce from stalls around the clock. It also shows the Gogerddan Arms (Lion Royal, Padarn Hall), 134.
Gorsedd Ceremony at the Castle 1916, 234.
Grammar School, 164.
Great Darkgate Street in the 1880s. The two low-roofed houses well down the right side were demolished to make way for the present post office, 146.
Great Darkgate Street, Medical Hall, Great Darkgate Street, 154.
Great Darkgate Street, the New Inn, Great Darkgate Street, 70.
Great Darkgate Street, pre 1880, showing market women selling their produce from stalls around the clock. It also shows the Gogerddan Arms (Lion Royal, Padarn Hall), 134.
Great Darkgate Street showing the arched entrance to Brittania Court, 253.
Great Darkgate Street, the site of the North and South Wales Banks in Great Darkgate Street c. 1880, 141.
Great Darkgate Street, unveiling the plaque on the house in Great Darkgate Street where the articles of faith were formulated, 42.
Great Hall and the new College Library, 181.
Great Western Railway, the first GWR Aberystwyth – Aberaeron motor bus, 131.
Green, George, 97.
Green's Foundry, after the fire of 1908, 98.
Green's Foundry Workers, 99.
Grosvenor leaving harbour, 91.
Gwalia Garage, an early Gwalia garage taxi with David Jones at the wheel, 131.

Hafod, a Jones Brothers bus at the Arch, near Hafod, 130.
Harbour Ferry, 82.
Harbour, the Grosvenor leaving harbour, 91.
Harbour, laying the Vale of Rheidol track to the north stone pier in the harbour, 87.
Harbour, they even had cows in the harbour, 81.
Harbour, a view of the harbour, 75.
Harbour, a view of Trefechan and the harbour c. 1880, 227.
Harbour Master, Captain Lloyd, Harbour Master, 82.
Her Majesty's Customs and Excise Offices, 259.
Hugh Street, old, 259.
Holy Trinity Church, 40.
Hospital, the first isolation hospital on Tanybwlch, 157.
Hotel Cambria, the theological college formerly the Hotel Cambria, 260.
House of Correction, a very old portion of the town in St. James Square between the Meat Market and St. Paul's Chapel. It once housed the House of Correction and gaol, 252.
Hughes, John, vicar and his wife, 38.
Hughes, Richard Samuel, 233.
Hydro-Waterloo Hotel, Aberystwyth's largest hotel. Destroyed by fire 1919, replaced by King's Hall, 206.

Infirmary, Aberystwyth Infirmary, 1888, 56.
Infirmary, Humphrey Robert's Office, Baker Street, site of the first infirmary, 155.
Infirmary, a ward in the first North Road Infirmary, 157.

Jetty, the old wooden jetty, 79.
Jetty, the stone quay which replaced the wooden jetty, 80.
John Hones's Stores and Market Hall in North Parade and Terrace Road, 135.
Jones, a Jones Brothers bus at the Arch, near Hafod, 130.
Jones, David, an early Gwalia Garage taxi with David Jones at the wheel, 131.
Jones, David, shipbuilder, 86.
Jones, Rev. Edward, 44.
Jones, Peter, 107.
Jones, Steven, Prince George at Tanybwlch with Lord Ystwyth, Colonel Taylor Lloyd and the Chief Constable, Steven Jones, 35.

Kiln, malt drying kiln in Trefechan, 106
Kiln, ship repairing near the malt drying kiln, 230.
Kilns, a few of Trefechan's lime kilns. The building with a veranda was the Customs House, 109.
King's Hall, the Hydro-Waterloo Hotel, Aberystwyth's largest hotel. Destroyed by fire 1919, replaced by the King's Hall, 206.

Lamplighter, 21.
Laura Place, the second St. Michael's is on the right and behind it can be seen the small, first St. Michael's Church, 39.
Leon, Jacob, 21.
Liberal Club, the gaol in the 1770's was probably in the corner of this old building near the old Liberal Club in St. James Square, 31.
Liberal Club in North Parade, 192.
Lifeboat Elizabeth Lloyd on the beach in the 1870s, 204.
Lifeboat, horse drawn lifeboat, 205.
Lifeboat, Rev. John Williams (bottom right) with the Aberystwyth Lifeboat Crew, 248.
Lion Royal, Gogerdan Arms, Great Darkgate Street, pre 1880, showing market women selling their produce from stalls around the clock. It also shows the Gogerddan Arms (Lion Royal, Padarn Hall), 134.
Llanbadarn Road, the North Turnpike Gates at the junction of Penglais Road and Llanbadarn Road c. 1880, 121.
Lloyd, Captain, Harbour Master, 82.
Lloyd, Colonel Taylor, Prince George at Tanybwlch with Lord Ystwyth, Colonel Taylor and the Chief Constable, Steven Jones, 35.
Lloyd's Bank, 144.
Lloyd's Bank, the corner of Terrace Road and Cambrian Place in the 1880's. It is now the site of Lloyds Bank, 144.
Llyn Llygad Rheidol, town councillors and others at Llyn Llygad Rheidol reservoir in 1913, at the opening of the raised dam, 25.

McIlquham's China Store 1886, 257.
Malthouse, old, 104.
Map, Lewis Morris's map of Aberystwyth 1748, 8.
Marine Terrace c. 1850, 196.
Marine Terrace, the German Band on Marine Terrace, 20.
Marine Terrace, pre 1850, 209.
Market, the meat market in St. James Square, 136.
Market Hall, John James's Stores and Market Hall in North Parade and Terrace Road, 135.
Market Street, the second Corn Market on the corner of Market Street and Eastgate, 135.
Mart, one of the first sales of cattle at the mart in Park Avenue 1954, 137.
Mary Street, old lower Terrace Road, 16.
Mayor, Town Council and leading officials, 1913. The Mayor was G. Fossett Roberts and on his left are D. C. Roberts and C. M. Williams, 27.
Medical Hall, Great Darkgate Street, 154.
Metcalfe, James, opening of Vale of Rheidol Railway December 1902. In front of the engine are bearded Montague Smith, the company Chairman and James Metcalfe, maker of the line's first locomotive, 126.
Methodist Missionary Exhibition, 53.
Midland Bank, 140.
Militia Band, 215.
Militia Barracks, 215.
Militia Officers, a group of, 215.
Milk Bar showing the difference in windows, 254.
Milk float of the type involved in the incident described, 26.
Mill, Windmill Court after the mill was converted into apartments c. 1860, 262.
Mill Street, the Cambrian News Works in Mill Street, 117.
Morgan, J. B., a J. B. Morgan bus, 131.
Morgans the Jewellers, 15.
Mount Pleasant, now part of the College, 195.

Nash, John, the bridge built by John Nash, c. 1880, 224.
National Library of Wales, 185.
National Library of Wales, building the central block, 187.
National Library of Wales, King George V and Queen Mary at the library site, 188.
National Library of Wales, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth at the library 1937, 189.
National Library of Wales, preparing the site for the National Library c. 1910, 186.
National Library of Wales, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at the Library 1955, 189.
National Library of Wales, Sir John Williams and the foundation stone, 187.
National School, the first National School in Northgate Street, 166.
National School, the second National School in North Road, 166.
National Westminster Bank, 143.
New Inn, Great Darkgate Street, 70.
New Street Meeting House, 68.
North and South West Banks, the site of the North and South Wales Banks in Great Darkgate Street c. 1880, 141.
North Parade c. 1900, 128.
North Parade, David Jone's Central Meat Stores at corner of Chalybeate Street and North Parade, 14.
North Parade, houses in North Parade built by the Rev. John Williams, 14.
North Parade, John James's Stores and Market Hall in North Parade and Terrace Road, 135.
North Parade, the Liberal Club in North Parade, 192.
North Parade, the line of carriages in North Parade, 128.
North Parade, some fine stone houses in North Parade c. 1820, and similar to some in Bridge Street, 254.
North Road, a ward in the first North Road Infirmary, 157.
North Turnpike Gates at the junction of Penglais Road and Llanbadarn Road c. 1880, 121.
Northgate Street, the first National School, in Northgate Street, 166.

Old Bank House, 257.
Old Bank House, the passive resistance sale at Old Bank House in Bridge Street, 167.
Old Candle Works (Y Ffatws), 103.
Old Crynfryn (Bonsall's Row). The crumbling wall in the foreground may have been part of the old town wall, 263.
Old Customs House, Aberystwyth c. 1860, possibly the oldest photograph in existence. The Castle Hotel, pier and Queen's Hotel had yet to be built. The old Customs House with a garden between it and the sea, stands at the corner with Pier Street....., 251.
Old High Street, 259.
Old Liberal Club, the gaol in the 1770's was probably in the corner of this old building near the Old Liberal Club in St. James Square, 31.
Old Lower Terrace Road, Mary Street, Old Lower Terrace Road, 16.
Old Malthouse in Trefechan, 104.
Old Police Force, 34.
Old Poplar Row, 15.
Old Princess Street, 258.
Old Prospect Street, 11.
Old Queen's Hotel, now a Lcal Gvernment Office, 200.
Old Town Hall, demolished 1856, 218.
Old Windmill, Aberystwyth beach 1790s showing the old windmill, 194.
Our Lady's Mill, an artist's impression of Our Lady's Mill, 221.
Our Lady's Mill, this ancient building is all that remains of Our Lady's Mill, 222.
Owen, Sir Hugh, 173.

Padarn Hall, Great Darkgate Street, pre 1880, showing market women selling their produce from stalls around the clock...., 134.
Palladium after the fire, 201.
Pantyfedwen Trust Building, 201.
Park Avenue, the Aberystwyth Gas Company Offices, Park Avenue, 111.
Park Avenue, one of the first sales of cattle at the mart in Park Avenue 1954, 137.
Park Avenue, remains of the Rheidol Foundry, 96.
Parry, Dr. Joseph, 178.
Peace Pageant, two scenes from the Peace Pageant 1935, 206.
Peace Pageant, an Urdd procession headed by Sir Ifan and Lady Edwards, during the Peace Pageant 1935, 237.
Pendinas, excavations at Pendinas, 1.
Penglais Comprehensive School, 170.
Penglais, the Physical Sciences Block on the Penglais Campus, 181.
Penglais Road, the North Turnpike Gates at the junction of Penglais Road and Llanbadarn Road c. 1880, 121.
Penparcau, the main road to Penparcau, 231.
Penparcau School, 163.
Phillips, off to Devil's Bridge in a Phillips brake, 130.
Phillips, Dean, 39.
Phillips Hall, a brake passing the Phillips Hall in Terrace Road, 129.
Physical Sciences Block on the Penglais Campus, 181.
Pier, boat trips from the pier head, 205.
Pier, Bush's plan of the new stone pier 1834, 79.
Pier, the new pier c. 1870, 210.
Pier, the Pier Pavilion and the Pier after 1896, 203.
Pier, the stone pier built after 1834, 80.
Pier, a view of the pier from the sea, 208.
Pier, a view of the pier head through the unfinished sea wall, 210.
Pier Pavilion and the Pier after 1896, 203.
Pier Pavilion, the interior of the Pier Pavilion, 203.
Pier Street, the Regency House in Pier Street, 259.
Pierrots on the beach, 204.
Plan of Aberystwyth, Cardigan, by John Wood, 1934, 13.
Plascrug c. 1880, 6.
Plascrug English Primary School, 170.
Pleasure Boats, some pleasure boats c. 1928, 205.
Plynlymon, poster, 90.
Police Force, old, 34.
Poplar Row, 15.
Portland Road, the staff of Garner's Bakery in Portland Road, 225.
Portland Street, the roller skating rink, Portland Street, 202.
Portland Street United Reformed Chapel – English Congregational, 67.
Post Office, Aberystwyth's early telephone linesmen on the pole behind the post office, 147.
Post Office, Great Darkgate Street in the 1880s. The two low-roofed houses well down the right side were demolished to make way for the present post office, 146.
Princess Street, 258.
Printers, a 19th century Abersywtyth printers' composing room, 120.
Promenade, building the extension of the promenade in front of the castle, 210.
Promenade, the coves below the castle before the promenade was built, 209.
Promenade, extending the promenade to the south, 210.
Promenade, laying the foundation stone for the extension, 210.
Promenade, part of the destruction of January 1938, 211.
Prospect Street, 11.
Public Library, 184.

Quay, the stone quay which replaced the wooden jetty, 80.
Queen's Hotel, 200.
Queen's Road, the College Hall in Queen's Road, 179.
Queen's Road, English (Wesleyan) Methodist Chapel, 61.
Queen's Road, St. John's Buildings, Queen's Road, where David Williams built his own boats, 87.
Queen's Road, the Town Hall in Queen's Road, 219.
Queen Street, the Cambrian News in Queen Street, 118.

Railway Station, outside the Railway Station c. 1930, 132.
Railway Station, the Royal Party at the Railway Station, 188.
Regency House in Pier Street, 259.
Rendel, Lord, 186.
Rheidol Foundry, remains of the Rheidol Foundry, Park Avenue (Ffowndri Fach), 96.
Rheidol United Choir, 234.
Roberts, David, 105.
Roberts, Sir David Charles, 246.
Roberts, David Charles, the Mayor, Town Council and leading officials, 1913. The Mayor was G. Fossett Roberts and on his left are D. C. Roberts and C. M. Williams, 27.
Roberts, Humphrey, Humphrey Roberts's office, Baker Street, site of the first infirmary, 155.
Roberts, Principal T. F., 175.
Rofawr, baulks of timber on Rofawr, 85.
Rofawr, the sawmill and timber yard on Rofawr, 85.
Roller Skating Rink, Portland Street, 202.
Royal Party at the railway ststion, 188.
Royal visit, decorations for the Royal visit, 188.

St. David's Club, entrance to St. David's Club, 240.
St. David's Wharf, the railway ran in front of the lower buildings. The upper building was the Lead Ore Warehouse. The chute was used to load and unload lead ore into ships and railway trucks...., 81.
St. James Square, the gaol in the 1770s was probably in the corner of this old building near the old Liberal Club in St. James Square, 31.
St. James Square, the meat market in St. James Square, 136.
St. James Square, a very old portion of the town in St. James Square between the Meat Market and St. Paul's Chapel...., 252.
St. John's Buildings, Queen's Road, where David Williams built his boats, 87.
St. Mair, interior of, 40.
St. Michael's, Laura Place, the second St. Michael's is on the right and behind it can be seen the small first St. Michael's Church, 39.
St. Michael's, the original design for the present St. Michael's, 40.
St. Michael', the present St. Michael's Church, 40.
St. Michael's, the second St. Michael's Church, 39.
St. Paul's, a very old portion of the town in St. James Square between the Meat Market and St. Paul's Chapel..., 252.
St. Paul's Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 59.
St. Winifrede's Roman Catholic Church, 73.
Salem Chapel, 51.
Salem, the remains of Salem, the Welsh Wesleyan Chapel in Queen Street, 57.
Salvation Army, the 1882 poster, 74.
Samuel, David and his staff at Ardwyn, 165.
Sandmarsh Cottage, 254.
Sarah Davies, an answer to John Gibson's complaint that the wreck of the once beautiful Sarah Davies was an eyesore, 82.
Sawmills, the shipbuilding yards, 84.
Sea wall, rebuilding the sea wall, 211.
Seilo, the first Seilo, 48.
Seilo with a new façade, 49.
Seilo with its third front, 49.
Seion Welsh Congregational Chapel, Baker Street, 65.
Sewerage works under construction in the 1920s, 27.
Ship repairing near the malt-drying kiln, 230.
Ship, a sailing ship nearing completion, 85.
Shipbuilding yards, 84.
Siloam Welsh Wesleyan Chapel, now a garage, 58.
Sion Welsh Congregational Chapel in Vulcan Street, 64.
Skinners Arms, the Tavern in the Town, formerly the Skinners Arms, 260.
Smith, Montague, opening of the Vale of Rheidol Railway, December 1902, 126.
South Gate Tollhouse, 231.
Spring Gardens c. 1890, 231.
Spurgeon, C. J., 's drawing of Aberystwyth castle as it was built by Edward 1, 2.
Storm, the damage caused to the reconstruction works by a subsequent storm, 211.
Storm, the Tanybwlch cottage after the storm, 212.

Tabernacl, the first Tbernacl 1785-1819, 42.
Tabernacl, the present Tabernacl, 44.
Tabernacl, the second Tabernacl, 43.
Tabernacl, some old Tabernacl Deacons, 45.
Tanybwlch cottage after the storm, 212.
Tanybwlch, the first isolation hospital on Tanybwlch, 157.
Tanybwlch, Prince George at Tanybwlch with Lord Ystwyth..., 35.
Tavern in the Town, formerly Skinners Arms, 260.
Temperance Hall, 72.
Temperance Hall, the interior, 14.
Terrace Road, 1910, 254.
Terrace Road, a brake passing the Phillips Hall in Terrace Road, 129.
Terrace Road, the Cambrian News in Terrace Road, 117.
Terrace Road, the corner of Terrace Road and Cambrian Place in the 1880s..., 144.
Terrace Road, John James's Stores and Market Hall in North Parade and Terrace Road, 135.
Terrace Road, Mary Street, old lower Terrace Road, 16.
Theological College, formerly the Hotel Cambria, 260.
Thespian Street, Chalybeate Teerrace, corner of Alexandra Road and Thspian Street, 12.
Thomas, Mr and Mrs Daniel, 27.
Timber, unloading timber, 90.
Town Clock c. 1880, 220.
Town Clock, Great Darkgate Street, pre 1880...., 134.
Town Council, the Mayor Town Council and leading officials...., 27.
Town Councillors and others at Llyn Llygad Rheidol reservoir in 1913, at the opening of the raised dam, 25.
Town Hall in Queen's Road, 219.
Town Hall, old Town Hall, demolished 1856, 218.
Town Hall, the present Town Hall...., 219.
Town Hall, Old Crynfryn (Bonsall's) Row...., 263.
Trefechan, the approach to Trefechan Bridge in 1880 and c. 1930, 229.
Trefechan, a few of Trefechan's lime kilns...., 109.
Trefechan, malt-drying kiln in Trefechan, 106.
Trefechan, old malt-house in Trefechan, 104.
Trefechan, one of Trefechan's old houses c. 1930, 229.
Trefechan Sunday School 1930s, 47.
Trefechan, two views of Old Trefechan c. 1880, 228.
Trefechan, a view of Trefechan and the harbour c. 1880, 227.
Trefechan, Ysgoldy Trefechan – the C.M. Sunday School, 47.

Urdd procession, headed by Sir Ifan and Lady Edwards, during the Peace Pageant 1935, 237.

Vale of Rheidol, at the opening of the Vale of Rheidol Railway, 127.
Vale of Rheidol, laying the Vale of Rheidol track to the north stone pier in the harbour, 87.
Vale of Rheidol, one of the line's first locomotives, 127.
Vale of Rheidol, opening of Vale of Rheidol Railway December 1902..., 126.
Victoria Terrace, the plaque on Blaenllynant, Sir John Williams's home in Victoria Terrace, 245.
Vulcan Street, Sion Welsh Congregational Chapel in Vulcan Street, 64.

Warehouse, a 19th century warehouse with loading bay, 261.
Welsh Gazette works in Bridge Street, 118.
Wesleyan day school, the tower of John Evans's school and, on the right, the Wesleyan day school (1844-48) described under Nonconformity, 161.
Western Parade, moving Western Parade to widen Alexandra Road, 16.
Westminster House, 256.
White Horse, window, 263.
Williams, C. M., the Mayor...., 27.
Williams, David...., 87.
Williams, Rev. John with Aberystwyth Life Boat crew, 248.
Williams, Rev. John, houses in North Parade built by the Rev. John Williams, 14.
Williams, Sir John Bart., 244.
Williams, Sir John and the foundation stone, 187.
Williams, Sir John, the plaque on Blaenllynant...., 244.
Williams and Metcalfe, remains of the Williams and Metcalfe Central Foundry established 1874, 95.
Windmill Court after the mill was converted into apartments c. 1860, 262.

Ysgol Gymraeg, Alexandra Road School...., 169.
Ysgoldy Trefechan – the C.M. Sunday School, 47.
Ystwyth, Lord, Prince George at Tanybwlch with Lord Ystwyth...., 35.