Index to 'Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser' 1866-1930
Biographies, Cardigan, Cards. Towns and Villages, Obituaries
Key : 12/3/1867, p. 4, c. D translates as - March the 12th, 1867, page 4, column D.
WE DO NOT HOLD THE 'CARDIGAN AND TIVYSIDE ADVERTISER' IN OUR COLLECTION. FOR A COPY OF AN ARTICLE, PLEASE CONTACT THE NATIONAL LIBRARY OF WALES www.llgc.org.uk OR CEREDIGION ARCHIVES http://archifdy-ceredigion.org.uk/
In 1980 the Area Librarian at Aberystwyth was approached by the manager of the 'Tivyside' with a request to house their collection of newspapers, which was previously stored in an outbuilding of the Cardigan offices. It was immediately apparent that the space required to store these 115 volumes was more than the library could provide, so thoughts turned to the possibility of micro-filming the papers and then passing on the originals to the County Records Office in Aberystwyth.
Eventually, a scheme was agreed with Manpower Services Commission and in December 1980 the project, to run for twelve months, began.
The Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser was founded in 1866 at the printing works of Owen Williams Thomas in St. Mary Street, Cardigan. At first the paper consisted of four large pages, three of which were printed in London and consisted of national news and articles of general interest. These London pages were then conveyed to Cardigan where the front page of local news and advertisements were added. The editoral of that first edition of 1 June 1866 proudly declared,
'We intend making 'all mankind our business' - our native land particularly so; and our native town we shall consider under our peculiar care. It's interests, whether generally as a part of the body politic or locally, shall have our special advocacy; and whatever is calculated to advance its trade, to raise its political position, or to add to the social comforts of its inhabitants, shall have our hearty assistance'.
This sound policy has continued to the present day and has made the 'Tivyside' an integral part of the community of South Ceredigion and North Pembs.
The original format was continued until 1874 when editors chose to increase the proportion of local news from one page to two. This was obviously a popular move and led to circulation trebling by 1877. The progress continued and, in accordance with the proposals of the first edition - '...when circumstances justify it, we pledge ourselves to enlarge its size and increase its columns' local news gradually ousted London involvement and the paper finally became a completely local concern on 16 November 1906. With a loyal readership and increasing circulation, the paper grew from its initial four pages and the occasional single sheet supplement to eight pages in Junes 1980, then ten, twelve, sixteen page editions of the past forty years.
With the changes in the amount of local newsprint available, the contents altered too. In May 1885 the editorial stated -
'Efforts will shortly be made to secure a more thorough system of district correspondence from the large districts with which we are connected.'
The paper initially concerned with events in 'our native town' but gradually reporters travelled further afield and news correspondents were based in the outposts of Newcastle Emlyn and Lampeter. Today, the paper covers all events of local interest in a wide radius from Cardigan, but in the early stages there was considerable bias in the contents, relating to the locations of those pioneer correspondents.
It was decided to ignore advertisements, correspondence and editorials in favour of progressing further with covering significant local events. In addition, biographical material relating to the general public has not been indexed and the Birth, Deaths and Marriages column was scoured only for those promintent members of the community.
Thus, for the years 1866-1930, the index includes all items that relate to Ceredigion which are likely to be of interest to the social, political or economic historian - ranging from Women's Institute meetings to the establishment of the National Library of Wales, This period covers the social changes that accompanied the coming of the railway in 1866; the defiance that fired the Tithe War in 1890s; the fervour and subsequent scandal that attended the Cardigan Cancer Cures in 1907; and the Liberal Party split of the 1920s. For the years 1930-1980 the papers have been indexed for historical articles and the obituaries of prominent local figures.
References are primarily arranged according to the relevant community and subject headings and are therein listed alphabetically with individual entries listed chronologically. For each entry, the year is followed by the day and month and then page and column, e.g. 18-11-7/1, D. Biographical material has been cross referenced, for instance, many churches include 'see refs' to a personal entry in either the Biography, Marriages or Obituaries section.
Adrian P. Fowles, Project Supervisor, November 1982.