Disabled Facilities Grants
How much is available and for what?
- This is a mandatory grant of up to £36,000 .
- A land charge will be registered in respect of owner occupied properties which have benefitted from an adaptation grant in excess of £5,000, this will be repayable on sale of the premises.
- A discretionary top up amount can be given where the cost of work exceeds £36,000 but subject to specific approval by Cabinet.
- Subject to a Test of Financial Resources (Means Test) in respect of the applicant or adult disabled persons for whom the work is carried out. The means test for the parents of disabled children (where the disabled facilities grant is for the benefit of the child) has now been abolished i.e adaptations for children are not means tested.
- Eligible work is what is assessed by an Occupational Therapist and agreed by the Grants Officer, or by a GP in the case of heating.
- Owner-occupiers and tenants (Council and Housing Association tenants are directed through on alternative routes) who are disabled or care for a disabled child or relation.
What work would qualify for help?
The following are only some examples this is not an exclusive list:
- Additional heating or change of boiler from solid fuel.
- Generally work to help disabled people live independently which is considered necessary and appropriate and reasonable and practical in respect of the disabled person and on the property to be adapted. This includes facilitating access to a garden.
- Relocation costs when it would be cheaper to move to a more suitable home than adapt an existing dwelling.
Will I have to pay the money back in future?
- Payback for mandatory disabled facilities grants over £5,000 when property is sold.
- Payback for discretionary top up assistance when the property is sold (Land Charge in respect of the additional amount plus interest)
How do I make an enquiry?
Enquiries for adaptations should be made to the Social Services Department—Tel: 01545 574000 and whose offices are at Minaeron, Vicarage Hill, Aberaeron. You should receive an acknowledgement from them within 10 working days