Ethics and Standards
The Local Government Act 2000 established a new 'ethical framework' for local government in Wales, the main components of which are:-
- the introduction of a set of Principles which govern the conduct of elected and co-opted members of County Councils and Community Councils in Wales.
- a model Code of Conduct for elected and co-opted members, which must be consistent with the above Principles.
- a requirement for each County Council to establish a standards committee to promote and maintain high standards of conduct by members of the County Council and the Community Councils situated in its area
- investigation of alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct by the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, who may refer matters to the Council's Ethics & Standards Committee or to the Adjudication Panel for Wales, an independent body established under the 2000 Act.
- a register of interests of the members and co-opted members of the County Council
Please refer to the links below for further details or contact the Standards Officer at Carys.Hughes@ceredigion.gov.uk or on 01545 572068.