Skip Navigation|



If you are planning to carry out demolition work you may have a statutory obligation to notify the Local Authority under section 80 of the Building Act 1984. Building Control needs to be notified if the demolition is more than 1750Ft3 or 47m3 in volume. This can be about the size of a two-storey rear extension. The application must be made at least six weeks before the work is due to start.

Our response

We will issue a notice detailing conditions which are intended to ensure the safe demolition of the structure, and that there is minimal disruption to the public. Demolition operations should not commence unless Ceredigion County Council has issued a notice under Section 81, or six weeks has elapsed since the Council was notified as to the intention to demolish a structure.

This six week period is crucial for Ceredigion County Council to consult other parties. We will endeavour to make this consultations as quickly as possible, and in many cases will issue a notice within 2-4 weeks. However, it remains the responsibility of the person carrying out the demolition to inform the occupiers of adjacent properties and Gas, Electricity and Water boards.

When we issue a notice under Section 81, we will also give a copy to the owners and occupiers of all adjacent properties. If you propose to burn material on the site, the Mid and West Wales Fire Service and Health and Safety Executive must also be given a copy of the notice.

Such a notice may require that you:

  1. Shore up adjacent buildings
  2. Weatherproof surfaces of adjacent buildings
  3. Repair any damage to adjacent buildings caused by the demolition
  4. Remove material or rubbish form the site arising from the demolition
  5. Disconnect and seal any drain or sewer
  6. Remove any drain or sewer affected by the demolition
  7. Make good the surface of the disturbed ground
  8. Make arrangements for the disconnection of gas, water and electricity into the building being demolished
  9. Make arrangements with regards to the burning of materials on site with:
    1. the Health and Safety Executive 
    2. the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service
  10. Take such steps as the local authority consider necessary for the protection of the public and the preservation of public amenity.

Planning Permission may also be required for some types of demolition and you may need to obtain a Party Wall agreement with the owners of any adjacent properties

  • Tel: 01970 633484 (North) 01545572484 (South)  0300 123 1199 (Emergency out of hours)
  • Email:
  • Post: Building Control, Canolfan Rheidol, Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3UE