- Why travel green?
- Travel Plans
- Public Transport
- Fuel-Efficient Driving
- Useful Links
Cars account for 13% of the UK's total CO2 emissions, and yet nearly a quarter of all car journeys are under two miles. There are many ways of cutting down your car journeys in Ceredigion, including using Public Transport, Car-Sharing, Walking, and Cycling. Ceredigion County Council is committed to supporting environmentally-friendly travel. On this page you will find more information on Green Travel.
- Travelling by public transport or under your own power is cheaper than driving.
- Green Transport is better for the environment than driving, especially for short journeys.
- Ceredigion is well connected by a network of buses.
- There's no need to worry about parking when using the bus, walking or cycling.
- Walking and Cycling are good exercise that all the family can enjoy.
- Walking is easy and cheap. You don't need any equipment and it can easily fit into your daily routine.
Travel Plans are schemes aimed at reducing an organisation's reliance on single car occupancy travel. They encourage measures such as:
- Public Transport
- Walking and Cycling
- Flexible working hours
- Working from home/video-conferencing
There are numerous benefits to implementing a Travel Plan, including:
- Reducing travel and business mileage expenses
- Easing pressure on local parking
- Improved health and well-being of staff
- improved staff retention and reduced absenteeism
Good travel plans can have the effect of cutting as much as 15% of single occupancy journeys to work. This relatively small reduction results in a significant reduction in the number of miles travelled and more importantly in the congestion avoided.
Car sharing is when two or more people share a car and travel together and is aimed at reducing single occupancy car use.
- Saves money
- Reduces your carbon footprint
- Helps reduce traffic congestion
- Creates fewer parking problems
- Provides transport in areas not serviced by public transport
For more information on car-sharing, please see the TraCC car-sharing page.
TraCC have teamed up with the UKs biggest car sharing organisation, Liftshare, and developed a car share database for the Mid Wales region called Mid Wales Carshare.
Using Public Transport is a great way to cut down on your carbon emissions. For more information, please see our Public Transport pages.
Cycling is a great way to get around and get some exercise at the same time. Ceredigion is connected to the National Cycle Network, with both on and off road sections running through the County. Ceredigion also has a number of Cycle Paths, more information on which can be found here.
There are many ways to get cycling. Ceredigion has a number of cycling shops, and bicycles can also be purchased online. Interested in cycling to work? Speak to your employer about the Government's Cycle Scheme.
For a list of useful websites regarding cycling, please see our Useful Links section below.
Walking is perhaps the cheapest and easiest method of getting around- all that you need are a good pair of shoes and a few minutes a day. Walking to work, or school in the morning, or the shops not only cuts down on pollution and congestion, but is also good for you. Walking is a good form of aerobic exercise, and can lower the risk of many illnesses and health concerns.
There are many places to walk for leisure in Ceredigion, varying from coastal trails to walks over the Cambrian mountains and down into the valleys. For more information, please see our Walking in Ceredigion page, or our page on Exploring Ceredigion. You can also find information on Public Rights of Way here.
Fuel-Efficient Driving, also known as Eco-driving, is a method of reducing your fuel consumption whilst driving. For more information, please click here.
Walking and Cycling:
- WAG walking and Cycling Action Plan 2009-2013