- How Buses are provided
- Timetable Information
- Further Information
- Concessionary Travel Pass
- Park and Ride
- Aberystwyth Bus Station
Ceredigion's network of bus services links all major towns and most villages, and reaches most of the scenic attractions in the area.
Buses in Ceredigion are provided in one of two ways:
- Commercially provided buses are run by the operator with no Council subsidy. The operator controls the route, times and fares of the bus.
- Subsidised routes are provided on behalf of the Council. These services cannot be provided commercially, but are considered to be socially necessary. As such, they are provided by operators under contract for the Council.
As part of the government's commitment to improve and strengthen public transport some services are supported by the Local Transport Service Grant from the National Assembly.
For information on bus timetables, please see our Timetables page.
The following companies provide bus services in Ceredigion:
|Arriva Cymru||Park Avenue, Aberystwyth, SY23 1PG||01970 624472||www.arriva.co.uk|
|Coach Travel Wales||PO Box 208, Aberystwyth, SY23 3XW|
|Evans Coaches||Old Station, Tregaron, SY25 6HX||01974 298546||N/A|
|James Brothers||Glanyrafon, Llangeitho, SY25 6TT||01974 821255||N/A|
|Lewis Coaches||Bryneithin, Llanrhystud, SY23 5DN||01974 202495||N/A|
|Lloyds Coaches||Old Crosville Depot, Dole Street, Machynlleth, SY20 8BH||01654 702100||www.lloydscoaches.com|
|Mid-Wales Motorways||Brynhyfryd Garage, Penrhyncoch, Aberystwyth, SY23 3EH||01970 828288|
|Morris Travel||Alltycnap Road, Johnstown, Carmarthen SA31 3QY||01267 235090||www.morristravelcoaches.co.uk|
|Richards Brothers||Moylgrove Garage, Pentood Industrial Estate, Cardigan SA43 3AG||01239 613756||www.richardsbros.co.uk|
Celtic Travel, New Street, Llanidloes, Powys, SY19 7BU
Further information on public travel in Wales can be found on the Traveline Cymru website.
Other useful information for bus users:
- Services may change at short notice. Users should check details of routes, times and fares before journeying.
- Copies of the current timetable must be available for inspection on the bus. If the journey is subsidised by the Council, the operator must provide free copies of the timetable on the vehicle.
- No services will operate on the 25th and 26th of December, or the 1st of January.
- The times shown on the timetable are the scheduled departure times. Due to traffic conditions, roadworks or unforseen circumstances, these times may vary. Passengers are asked to be at the bus stop in advance of the published times.
- Services operate on a "Hail and Ride" basis in rural areas, meaning that passengers may be picked up or set down at any point on the route provided it is safe to do so in the driver's opinion. Please signal clearly to the driver if you wish to catch the bus.
- The bus may not stop at every bus stop, so please signal clearly to the driver that you wish to alight, either by using the bell or asking in advance. In built-up areas, recognised stopping places will be used. Please note that the driver has a responsibility to consider the safety of passengers and other road users- please respect his or her judgement when requesting the bus stop.
- When boarding the bus, please state your destination clearly, the type of ticket required, and, if possible, have the correct fare ready. Always take and retain your ticket throughout your journey, as it is your only proof that you have paid for your journey and you may be required to present it to an inspector. If you have a multi-trip or season ticket, always present it to the driver when boarding. If you do not have your ticket, you will have to pay the full fare.
- Following legislation passed in 2007, smoking on public transport is illegal.
- Passengers are carried subject to the conditions and regulations of the operating company. Pets and parcels are carried at the discretion of the driver.
- Lost property should be claimed from the operator.
For comments, suggestions or complaints about commercial services, please contact the operating company directly. If you feel a complaint has not been dealt with satisfactorily, you may contact the Traffic Commissioner, who is responsible for the licensing and registration of bus companies and local bus services. The address is:
Clerk to the Traffic Commissioner
Welsh Traffic Area
386 Hareshill Lane
For information on Concessionary Travel Passes, please click here.
A Park and Ride bus service operates in Aberystwyth. The service starts at the car park on Boulevard St. Brieuc and runs through the town and up to the hospital. For more information on the Park and Ride, please see our Park and Ride page.
Bwcabus is a service operating in the Teifi Valley area. The service enables people to travel between local towns and villages or connect to the hourly Carmarthen – Cardigan – Carmarthen 460 bus service at local hubs. Please note you must phone ahead of your journey to book a journey with Bwcabus. For more information, please click here.