History of Ceredigion
Ceredigion has been a recognised unit since the fifth century.
Cardiganshire was formed by the 1536 Act. From 1974 to 1996 the historical name Ceredigion was adopted by the District Council and the name Ceredigion County Council by the new unitary authority in 1996.
The county stretches from Eglwys-fach in the north to Cardigan town in the south, and its main towns are Aberystwyth, Aberaeron, Lampeter, Tregaron, Llandysul and Cardigan. The main Council offices are shared between Aberystwyth and Aberaeron but there are local offices in all the main towns.
Of the resident population of 70,000, 59% are Welsh speakers according to the 1991 census.Two of the University Colleges of Wales are located in the County, one in Aberystwyth and the other in Lampeter. The county has a college of Further Education and a system of bilingual education is offered in the county's schools.
There are three art centres in the county in Aberystwyth, Felin-fach and Cardigan, and Aberystwyth is the home of the National Library of Wales, the Welsh Books Council and Urdd Gobaith Cymru. Indeed, Aberystwyth in particular and the county in general is an important cultural and academic centre, it is one of the strongholds of the Welsh language and is crucial to the growth and prosperity of the language in Wales.
Since April 1st, 1996 the people of Ceredigion County have one Council providing Local Government Services in this area. The Council includes 44 Members who represent 36 Wards.