Ceredigion County Council provides regular collections of household waste from all domestic properties in Ceredigion.
This page answers the following questions:
You should have been sent a Recycling Calendar with your collection dates on it. You can use our Postcode Search or Interactive Mapping Tool below to check when your collection days are.
The following are collected weekly:
- Food waste container - All unpackaged food waste, whether cooked or uncooked, can go into your food waste caddy
- Clear recycling bag - Clean and dry recyclable materials listed below.
The following is collected fortnightly:
- Residual waste (non-recyclable waste)
- Green garden waste - Green bags are available from Ceredigion County Council fo a nominal fee.
All unpackaged food waste, whether cooked or uncooked, can go into your food waste caddy. This includes:
|Bread, pastries and confectionaries|
|Fish (cooked and uncooked), bones and carcasses|
|Tea bags and coffee grounds|
All dry recyclable materials must be placed loose into the bag. Do not place separately bagged items into your clear recycling bag. Recycling Bags are available from Council Cash Offices and some local shops and post offices. Please see our interactive mapping tool for more details.
Please wash out all items that have been used as packaging for food or drink.
Please note, the following items should not be put in your clear recycling bag:
Ceredigion County Council provides a green waste collection service. All green waste must be presented on your fortnightly collection day in special bags that are available for purchase from your local Council Cash Office.
Green waste can include:
- Cuttings from trees
- Hedge clippings
Green waste does not include:
- Plant pots
- Manmade materials e.g. patio furniture
- Building materials
- Giant Hogweed
- Japanese Knotweed
As most waste items are now recyclable, there should be very few items left to dispose of in your non-recyclable waste bag. Examples may include disposable nappies, vacuum cleaner contents, coal ash (that has been allowed to cool) and crisp packets.
More information on how to dispose of particular items can be found on our A-Z of Waste.
Presentation and collection of domestic waste
- All waste should be presented on the morning of collection as described in the calendar provided, prior to 8am
- Food waste should only be presented in the 23 litre container provided by the Council
- Recyclable materials should only be presented in clear plastic bags provided by the Council
- Non-recyclable materials should only be presented in securely closed containers of reasonable durability such as black bin bags or waste bins.
- Do not place glass bottles and jars in clear recycling bags. Take them to your local bottle bank or Household Waste Site
- To avoid contamination, plastic bottles and cans should be washed and squashed before placement in clear recycling bags.
- All reasonable amounts of waste in black bags will be collected if sufficient effort has been made to recycle as much waste as possible.
All households in Ceredigion should have received a Recycling Pack consisting of:
1. An Internal Kitchen Caddy for your food waste
2. A 23 litre External Container for use on food waste collection days
3. A Roll of Clear Bags for clean and dry recyclable materials
4. A Recycling Calendar advising you of your new collection dates.
The internal Kitchen Caddy is a 7 litre caddy suitable for storage in the kitchen. The larger lockable 23 litre container is suitable for storage either inside or outside the home. The smaller caddy provides an easy way for you to store food waste in the kitchen. Once the caddy is full, waste can be transferred to the second, larger container ready for the weekly collection.
A minimal amount of liquid may be generated by the food waste during storage. However, it is of great importance that plastic bags are not used to line the caddy or container, as they cannot be treated by the food waste process.
The best method to keep the caddies clean is to wash them after emptying with an eco-friendly anti-bacterial cleaning fluid and warm water. Alternatively, you could line the caddies with a layer of newspaper or kitchen paper towels, which are compostable, or use compostable bags which are available from Council Cash offices and most supermarkets. Please do not use plastic bags.
Food Waste will be collected weekly and residents will be required to place their container outside their property on their scheduled collection day, details of which can be found in the calendar provided or here.
Clear bags are for your separated, clean, dry recyclables. Please tie the top of the recycling bag securely. Your recycling bags should then only be put outside your property on your scheduled collection day, details of which can be found in the calendar provided or here.