Improvement Objectives 2011 - 2012
Ceredigion County Council is committed to improving and protecting the sustainable quality of life for its Citizens and improving the well-being of Ceredigion through continuous Improvement.
For further information please contact the Corporate Performance Unit on 01545 572006, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Transform our services to be more efficient and effective for the citizens.
Public services are facing a huge challenge in terms of public finances and an increasing demand for services. To meet these challenges, Ceredigion County Council is developing ways of achieving both Corporate and Departmental efficiencies for our citizens and communities.
Projects are being identified within Ceredigion County Council to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the way our services are being delivered, to benefit our citizens. In addition, the County Council will work with the partners on the Ceredigion Local Service Board in identifying collaborative opportunities with neighbouring authorities and other public sector providers to achieve efficiencies within the County.
- Transform the way we deliver our services.
- Work with our partner organisations to deliver more efficient and effective services.
- Change working practices and processes to better align our services.
B. Improve learning opportunities for all of our learners.
The Council will put in place arrangements to improve pupil achievements in national assessments and will make more efficient use of resources in the primary and secondary sector.
- Raise pupil standards in numeracy and literacy at Key Stage 1 – 4.
- Improve the outcomes for vulnerable groups of children and young people.
- Improve our school facilities and reduce surplus places.
C. Provide a high quality and a safe environment.
The natural environment in Ceredigion is one of the County's greatest assets but it also has a direct impact on communities and citizens' quality of life, including their health and wellbeing, and that of future generations. The Council recognises this and will endeavour to protect, nurture and enhance the excellent quality of the local environment and minimise pollution risks from processes, practices and activities which have a potential to damage the environment and/or harm the health of the population. This will be done in partnership with a range of statutory agencies, organisations, community groups and the voluntary sector. There is an ongoing need to raise awareness, challenge behaviour, positively influence attitudes and generally increase community pride amongst residents and visitors to the County. The Council will also put in place arrangements to enable the climate change targets set by the Welsh Assembly Government for local authorities to be met.
- Lower our carbon footprint by reducing carbon emissions
- Protect and enhance our coastal and flood defences
- Improve upon our success in waste management and recycling services
D. Improve the ways we safeguard those who are vulnerable.
Social Services has a significant role to ensure that those who are most vulnerable within our Communities, are appropriately protected and safeguarded from abuse.
- Ensure that decisions that affect children and young people's lives are timely and improve outcomes.
- Ensure children are protected from harm.
- Ensure that decisions that affect vulnerable adults are timely and improve outcomes.
E. Promote and develop Aberystwyth as a regional and national centre.
The County Council and the Wales Assembly Government recognise the important strategic role of Aberystwyth in the Mid Wales region. A Regeneration Board has been set up to guide strategic investment over the next 3 to 5 years.
The Regeneration Area will be managed jointly by WAG and Ceredigion County Council with an estimated SRA allocation of £20m over 5 years. Ceredigion County Council will be responsible for implementation and delivery of key actions.
- Create a vibrant seafront promenade and a thriving town centre.
- Tackle economic inactivity.
- Improve housing and living conditions.
F. Promote and develop economic renewal across the County.
Extensive consultations have been undertaken. Citizens recoginse that it is important to promote and help develop the rural economy as well as the regeneration of Aberystwyth. The Council , using Rural Development Plan resources will inject funding into qualifying projects and schemes. The county suffers loss of young people to educations and job opportunities elsewhere, we need to help our young people find suitable vocational qualifications and opportunities for jobs in Ceredigion.
- Ensure that the procurement process is reviewed to see whatever there are opportunities for local businesses to be considered for contracts to supply goods and services to the Authority.
- Promote the creation of opportunities for apprenticeships and jobs for young people within the county.