W. J. Lewis writes in 'New Quay and Llanarth' :
'The launching of a ship was a great occasion, crowds lined the shore, the vessel was made gay with bunting and there was great rejoicing, much of it in the local taverns, of which there was certainly no shortage....The owners and builders of the new ship usually celebrated the launching together, with a special dinner.'
A local custom concerned with brewing was 'cwrw bach' (small beer). A considerable quantity of ale was brewed and given to the locals in exchange for money in aid of a good cause e.g. a family who had suffered a misfortune. This custom was stopped thanks to the temperance movement of the 19th century.
At one time New Quay had 24 pubs.
S. C. Passmore writes ('Farmers and Figureheads') :
Many women ran public houses in the village. At one time or another New Quay has had 24 pubs. This is apt to give the misleading impression that is was rather a 'Wild West' town, full of saloons. It was comparatively easy to set up in business in a public house : a licence had to be applied for at the Quarter Sessions but this could cost as little as 4/-. Most farms brewed their own beer so the average person would probably have learnt to do so at some time in their lives. However, a study of the Censuses reveals that not all the pubs were active at the smae time although the old pub names lingered on as long as the cottages existed.'
1841 : Only the Crown Inn and Penywig were operating
Lewis, W. J. : New Quay and Llanarth
Passmore, S. C. : Farmers and Figureheads, Dyfed Cultural Services, 1992