According to W. J. Lewis ('Aberaeron') :
'In 1800 the stretch of land now occupied by the town was almost empty of buildings. The only settlement lay half a mile inland around what is now the Upper Bridge over the river Aeron. This consisted of the Aberaeron Uchaf farm, Penybont, a smithy, malthouse, a few cottages on the common and, opposite the farm, an old thatched cottage known as Y Bont. Between these and the sea were a few farmhouses, at least three taverns and, just to the north of the present Pier Cottage, two storehouses....'
One of these taverns was known as the Sailors Arms.
In former times, Aberaeron had 33 taverns, 3 in Quay Parade.
Lewis, W. J. : Aberaeron