- YOU ARE IN:
- Home >
- Tourism & Leisure >
- Ceredigion Museum >
- The Friends of Ceredigion Museum >
- Some of the items purchased or conserved with grants from the Friends of Ceredigion Museum >
- Portrait painting of David Davies by Hugh Hughes
Portrait painting of David Davies by Hugh Hughes
Purchased by the Friends of Ceredigion Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum Art Fund 2005
Portrait of David Davies, Castle Green House, Cardigan, by Hugh Hughes, c. 1832-1836
This portrait probably hung in Castle Green House, Cardigan until David Davies' widow sold the house in 1840. It remained in the possession of descendants of David Davies until it was found blocking a chimney in a house in Laura Place, Aberystwyth in 1987 when it was privately purchased and restored.
David Davies (1802-1836) was distantly related to Hugh Hughes. There is a miniature, probably based on this portrait, in a private collection. He bought Castle Green House, Cardigan in 1832.
Hugh Hughes (1790-1863) was a native of Caernarfon. He produced good wood engravings for 'The Beauties of Cambria' (1823) and became known as the 'Welsh Bewick'. He also produced a number of portraits and landscapes.
Castle Green house was built within the walls of Cardigan Castle by Daniel Evans for Arthur Jones.
The castle, house and grounds were purchased by Ceredigion County Council in 2003. They are the subject of applications for funding to restore the house and remains of the castle and to open the grounds to the public
Purchased with a grant from the MLA/V&A purchase fund and the Friends of Ceredigion Museum.
Ceredigion Museum 2005.121.1