The Friends of Ceredigion Museum
The Friends Association at Ceredigion Museum is a Registered Charity (number 506308) and exists to support the museum’s work. We hold one general meeting in the autumn and two or three other meetings each year, as well as being involved in other events.
How the Friends support the museum
• Nearly all the money from annual subscriptions; tax concession for donations under the Gift Aid scheme; and interest and capital from legacies left to the Friends is used to boost the budget for purchasing or conserving items for the collections and supporting projects.
• As a registered charity the "Friends" are able to apply for some kinds of grants which the museum cannot apply for.
• We act as a bridge between the museum and the wider community.
• We advise the museum through our Council and the Annual General Meeting.
• We provide many kinds of voluntary help when required.
What the Friends receive
• Satisfaction from helping to preserve Ceredigion’s heritage
• We learn about the work of the museum
• Annual programmes of events, displays and exhibitions as circulated in print and by email.
• Information about lectures or outings of heritage interest arranged by other organisations
• Invitations to social events and exhibition openings
• 10% discount at the museum shop
• 10% discount on the purchase of works of art from the Coliseum gallery
How Ceredigion Museum supports local communities and heritage
• preserves, restores and displays items and artifacts relating to the history of Ceredigion
• is the home of the young people’s clubs, e.g. young curators and archaeologists
• arranges art, costume, textile and many other kinds of exhibitions in the Gallery and temporary exhibitions on topics and themes in the auditorium and elsewhere
• organises art competitions to support wider events and creative activities in school holidays
• hosts the annual exhibition of the Cardiganshire Art Society
• supports community art and local history activities
• provides resources for local schools and older groups
• is a venue for classic film, drama and performance
• provides work experience for young people
• welcomes and values voluntary helpers
• maintains a well-stocked shop to attract all interests
• offer expertise in identifying historical objects
• talk to schools and local groups
• help arrange displays in New Quay, Tregaron, Aberaeron and Lampeter and the cottage in Llanon, supported by local volunteers
The Museum is currently changing and growing
Thanks to a successful bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2015, the Museum began an exciting major development in 2016, providing a new street level entrance and better access and facilities for visitors as well as merging with the Tourist Information Centre. The Friends are helping to support this project in every way we can, including applying for grants and raising funds.
Can you help us?
As Friends of Ceredigion Museum, we always welcome new members to join us, whatever your age, experience and life skills. Being a ‘Friend’ is personally rewarding and we would welcome your support.