Copy of a Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Partnership Certificate
We hold records for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which have taken place in Ceredigion since 1837.
We can only issue copy certificates if we hold the register containing the original entry. If the birth, death, marriage or civil partnership occurred outside of Ceredigion, you should apply to the register office which holds the original record.
Fees and Timescale
There is a charge for copy certificates and the fee depends on whether the record is contained within the ‘current register’ or a ‘completed register’.
Certificates issued from current registers
|Short birth certificate issued at the time of registration
|Standard certificate issued at the time of registration
|Standard certificate issued after the time of initial registration
Certificates issued from current registers are only available for a short period of time after initial registration.
Certificates issued from completed registers
Once a register is complete, it will be archived and any certificate issued from these registers will be at an increased fee.
The certificate fee and time taken to process your application will depend on the level of service you choose.
- We will issue and dispatch a certificate within five to seven working days of receiving a fully completed application and payment.
|Priority (Express) Service
- If you need the certificate in a hurry, our priority service will guarantee that the certificate is issued and dispatched within 24 hours of receiving a fully completed application and payment. (This service is not available at weekends or bank holidays)
- If you apply before 2 p.m. Monday to Friday, your certificate will be issued and dispatched the same day.
- Applications received after 2 p.m. will be dispatched the next working day.
All certificates must be paid for before we issue them.
Information you will need to provide
When you apply, you should provide as much information as possible about the entry you are looking for so that we can identify it correctly.
To obtain a certificate, you will need to provide us with the following information:
- Child’s full name at birth
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Parents’ full names
- Mother’s maiden name
- Full name of the deceased
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Date of birth or age of the deceased
- Home address at the time of the death
- Occupation of the deceased
- Full names of both parties at the time of marriage
- Date of marriage
- Place of marriage
- Full names of both parties at the time of civil partnership
- Date of civil partnership
- Place of civil partnership
- The addresses of both parties at the time of the civil partnership
For birth certificate applications, please indicate whether you want a ‘full’ or a ‘short’ copy certificate.
- The ‘full’ (standard) birth certificate includes the child and the parent’s/parents’ information. This certificate is required for official purposes such as passport and driving licence applications.
- The ‘short’ birth certificate only includes the child’s information.
- Both types of certificates will be issued at the same fee.
For civil partnership certificate applications, please indicate whether you want a ‘standard’ or an ‘extract’ certificate.
- The ‘extract’ civil partnership certificate does not show the addresses of either party
- The ‘standard’ civil partnership certificate gives full details
To apply for a standard certificate, you will need to provide the addresses of both parties at the time of the formation of the civil partnership.
How to apply for a copy certificate
You can apply in person at the Register Office, Aberystwyth.
You do not need to make an appointment to apply for a copy certificate.
Please note that we are unable to produce certificates on a ‘while you wait’ basis.
E-mail us providing the details outlined above. Please include your current address and a contact telephone number. Once the record has been located, we will telephone you to make payment by credit or debit card.
To apply by post, you need to download and complete the relevant application form. (see below) Alternatively, you can send us a letter setting out the required information and include your current address and a contact telephone number.
All postal applications along with the relevant payment should be sent to:
Ceredigion Register Office,
Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to ‘Ceredigion County Council.’
Application for a Birth Certificate
Application for a Death Certificate
Application for a Marriage Certificate
Application for a Civil Partnership Certificate
It is not possible to order copy certificates over the telephone.
Once the requested certificate has been issued, it can be collected from the Register Office, Aberystwyth. Alternatively, your certificate can be posted to the address provided on your application.
If you choose to have the certificate posted, then we cannot guarantee when the Royal Mail will deliver the certificate to you.
Ceredigion Registration Service is not liable for any certificates that are delayed or lost in the post.
If you require a copy of an adoption certificate, you will need to apply to the General Register Office.
Certificates are Crown Copyright and should not be photocopied for official purposes.